Chapter Twelve

tyler sat down at his usual table, brendon, pete, and patrick all in terrible moods.

"did he split you up, too?" tyler asked pete and patrick, both of them nodding.

"he put me by myself." pete grimaced.

"same."

tyler heard ruffling, looking at the source to see josh sitting down in the empty space near him. tyler smiled softly, leaning his head on josh's shoulder as he wrapped him in a quick side hug.

"how was the hour without me?" josh asked.

"shit. i didn't know what to do with the kids so i just told them to make clay flowers. clay smells disgusting." tyler grimaced.

"music was pretty bad, too. we made songs with a bass and toy drum, but you know who was playing both?"

tyler giggled, imagining how messy josh was with the instruments. he really wished he was with him again, it was almost like he didn't know what to do without him there. he didn't, if he was being honest, normally they'd rely on each other to come up with ideas.

this sucked.

"but at least we have lunch toget-"

"tyler, brendon! just the guys i wanted to see! since some counsellors didn't come this session, and some workers are sick, i'm going to need you two on kitchen duty." cruz's annoying voice sounded from next to their table, like he just magically appears whenever josh tries to look at the bright side of things.

now tyler was on kitchen duty?

"what the f-"

"lunch starts in an hour, get your hairnets on and we'll go from there."

"a hairne-"

"it's protocol."

tyler's mouth was agape in silent rebuttal and disbelief. he watched cruz walk away, flipping through the papers on his clipboard and talking to other counsellors. the table fell silent except for the sigh that escaped josh's mouth.

"fuck!" he banged his fists on the table before leaving the table and walking away from the cafeteria.

he was frustrated, and upset, because he didn't know how to fix this. when would he even see tyler? would he even see everyone else? they were supposed to go through the day together, now cruz is splitting everyone up because it's protocol?

he'd find a way to get around this.

>><<

tyler blew a raspberry at the empty pots and pans on the stove already, arms crossed in front of him. he looked like he belonged on the front of a syrup bottle in this ugly apron and hairnet. it was messing up his quiff and it smelled like latex. brendon had the same expression, waiting for cruz to tell them what they needed to do.

"okay, guys!" speak of the devil. "for kitchen duty, you'll just be making the kids lunch. whatever you want."

"but we don't know how to cook." tyler furrowed his eyebrows. what if he accidentally poisoned the kids?

"sure you do! i'll have the staff clean when you're done."

brendon gave tyler a "what the fuck?" look, tyler shaking his head in confusion.

"what do we give them?" tyler asked, beginning to get frantic.

he can't even boil a pot of water without it burning out, the most he could do is crack an egg, and even then he got shells in it. tyler ran to the refrigerator, feeling panicked, pushing past containers and bags of food before finding chocolate in the back of the fridge. he grabbed it, opening it quickly.