Chapter Ten

today was the last night of first session, so matty had a lot of things planned for the counsellors and the kids. tyler had already dressed his cutest, knowing that jenna would be here soon. they've seen each other at their worst, but why not?

he was waiting for josh to finish up in the bathroom, pete and patrick getting each other ready. they knew how this went already; they'd get dressed up a little bit nicer than what they'd normally wear, meet parents and new kids, and have to put on a smile for the incoming campers.

"ty?" josh called, voice muffled through the bathroom door.

"yeah?"

"do you have an extra jacket? mine is dirty."

"i don't have anything black." tyler said.

"ugh, seriously?"

"nothing solid." tyler said, remembering he brought an oversized black sweater with writing on it.

"i'm coming to get it."

tyler heard the bathroom door unlock, looking up to see josh walking through it. tyler raised his eyebrows as he saw the tattoos that josh always had covered underneath his shirts. he noticed some black ones surrounded by splashes of colorful flowers, words, stars, geometric designs; pretty much everything scattered all over josh's body. he was fascinated, because he's never seen so many tattoos in real life before. they were beautiful to him, and he lightly smiled in appreciation. josh noticed this, making a face at tyler for staring at his many, many tattoos, before going over to his suitcase and searching for the black sweater tyler was talking about. he grimaced at all the bright pinks and purples he had in there, eventually finding the black sweater. it was black except for the white words in the middle of it that spelled "clique". (A.N. yes like that one drawing iss so cute!)

josh made another face, shrugging and slipping it on over his head anyway.

"you look nice." tyler commented, josh sticking his tongue out.

"i look like you." he joked, tyler gasping in fake offence.

"exactly." tyler rolled his eyes and followed pete and patrick out of the cabin, tyler and josh trailing behind them.

"we have to go talk to people." josh said, eyebrows furrowing.

"yeah, that's how camp works." tyler said.

"but i don't like people."

tyler rolled his eyes for the second time, but if he was being honest, he'd rather not talk to people either. he was just lucky matty cut the time short so they could continue a regular camp day. he followed the jumbled voices to the dance room, filled with parents and kids. tyler groaned, josh nudging him until he put on the fakest smile he could.

he found brendon, making his way over with josh. he saw the small smile brendon sent to josh, who returned it quickly and looked at the floor.

"hey, ty." brendon greeted, waving.

"hi. when is this going to end?" tyler asked.

"babe, you just got here."

"and now i want to go."

"soon, matty's here."

it was then tyler heard matty's voice quieting the room down, smiling and clasping his hands together as the parents and students stopped talking to look at him.

"welcome, new parents and students. my name is matthew, and i'm the camp director here."

tyler stopped listening, hearing this speech way too many times to care anymore. he loved matty, but this was the most boring part. his eyes drifted to the new faces of kids and parents, then to how many lights were shining in the room, then to how many slots were in the lockers set at the back of the room. soon enough, after tyler counted the number of visible tiles he could see from the floor, matty finally finished, sending the parents off to take care of their business before going home and getting ready for the next session.