Chapter 1

The bitter cold wind flushed your cheeks a bright pink. Ice particles stinging the soft flesh of your face.

Breathing out, you saw a little cloud escape your lips. A car whizzed past, going several miles over the speed limit. Envy pulsated through your veins. Having to walk everywhere, in this Utah weather, wasn't necessarily the cherry on top. It was being unemployed, bitter, and still living at your mother's home.

All at the ripe age of 23.

With a hasty maneuver, you were finally greeted by the soothing warm air of a local deli shop. The warm blanket of air caused a small smile to form on your flushed face. The fluorescent light from above gave way to the emense bags under your eyes. You exhaled and ordered a drink and a croissant. The only thing that'll bring joy to your troubled morning.

With stiff bones, you slowly sat down in a booth. Waiting to be warmed up before getting to work. Blowing a hot breath into your palms, you took out a busted up laptop and began working on your assignments.

"Only a few more months of university.." You assured yourself. As you weren't so sure if you'd even want to continue college.

Despite writting lengthy essays that crippled your fingers, you persisted with graduation day in sight. Always writing like you were running out of time...Quite literally. Your essay about the industrial revolution is due in an hour...

Your phone then chimed with your favorite blaring through the speaker- causing the few people waiting on line to give you an odd look. You flashed a nervous smile as you frantically looked into your messenger bag. Your bright screen flashed green as you read the caller ID.

It was your mother.

With a click of your thumb you managed to choke out:

"H-hey mom." Still embarrassed from the scene caused.

"Honey, you left your flash drive in your jeans again. If I hadn't look, it would've been ruined in the wash!" She spat.

"Which flash drive?" You asked rittled with anxiety, quickly rummaging into your bag again.

"The purple one."

"Jesus Christ! Mom, please just put the flash drive into my room." You sighed, relieved that you had the one you wanted in your hand.

"Alright, make sure you come straight home. I want to talk to you when you get back."

A huff escapes your lips, "Okay, I will."

A waitress finally came in with your order. "Sorry for the wait hun. We had to make a new batch of croissants." She gave you a smile as she set down your food.

You bit your lip and placed your phone face down on the counter. She also handed you a newspaper then hurried away to the other customers. Having lost your appetite, you eyed your croissant and began working.

You were still quickly typing away at your laptop, when a small peek at the time made you physically stop.

9:20 am.

You assignment was now 20 minutes late, heart sinking into your stomach like an iron brick. With a clenched jaw, you grab your belongings and shove them haphazardly into your bag. Then standing up, digging into you jean pockets to fish out a ten and slam the crumpled bill onto the table top. Your feet stomp to the door, elbowing someone as you adjusted your bag and entered the frozen wasteland once more.

You press in a few numbers onto your outdated phone and await the lazy voice of your professor. It'd be a cold day in hell when you turn in an assignment late.