Chapter 4

Bella's P.O.V

We ended up winning that night. It wasn't a huge surprise, thanks to our designated team that consisted mostly of the Forks High baseball team, we've been winning the last three years in a row. I also ended up drinking a lot that night. Hammered type of a lot. All while ignoring the eyes of certain emerald eyed hottie that remained at his side of the field with my best friends' husbands. By the time it was time to go home, he drove Bubba. He critiqued my baby the whole way through and when I pointed out he was breaking one of the rules, he reminded me that he couldn't critique my driving. Not his.

After that... we haven't talked. At all. We see each other when I work at the diner. We live one room apart. But nothing. It's like we're some type of... coworkers. The ones you never cross word with. I'm not going to lie when I say it doesn't bother me a little but it does. He seems so quiet and at the same time so appealing. One thing that certainly does annoy me about him, even when we are currently like on our ninth day streak of not speaking, is his addiction to his damn phone. He pulls it out every five minutes, even when no one calls him or messages him. But when it does ring, he bolts out, far away from earshot and it doesn't appear to matter to him that he is working or not, he just leaves. If it wasn't for the fact that he was a good worker and that it didn't really matter if he left or not randomly during his shift, I would have fired his ass long ago. I wonder who he so impatiently waits to call. It does spark some curiosity in me. More than the one he already owns.

Apart from working at the diner, I also work as a caretaker for the elderly. It helps keep me distracted by the fact some handsome stranger keeps ignoring me. The plus side of it is the people. Especially Mrs. Cope, who after she lost her husband, came here voluntarily since her daughter had moved far far away from Forks almost twenty years back. And the best thing about Forks, is that the nursing home is located inside the only hospital we have. They have a home to live in, people that take care of them and doctors that attend to them when needed. There are approximately twenty to twenty five seniors living here and this being the smallest town to ever be registered, I know who exactly abandoned their parents here. And I'll be honest, I glare at them when I see them down the streets.

I walk out the kitchen to the small social area where they all hang out, carrying a cake big enough for twenty five seniors with candles in the shape of 65. I'm not about to carry a heavy cake with sixty five little candles, no sir. Everyone around me sings Happy Birthday to Mrs. Cope as I place the cake on the table at the center of the room and clap once the song is over. Mrs. Cope has the biggest smile on her face as she leans down and blows out her candles. I clap happily and congratulate her.

"Sixty five has never looked so good," Mr. Black joked.

I laugh. "Alright, who wants cake?"

Angela turns on the small radio we have to some classic music they enjoy. I hand them each their small piece of cake and blush every time one of them makes a remark to how beautiful I am. It makes me happy to see Mrs. Cope so joyful and full of life, here out of all places, with her friends and the only people that care about her. They soon get into a gritty mood and I lean over to Angela and ask, "Are you sure someone didn't make that cake out of pot or something?"

Angela chuckles. "They're enjoying the party. It's great seeing them like this."

No later do they start dancing with each other. Mr. Black even takes Angela out to the small dance floor they just made. I laugh the whole way through, enjoying the sight of so much life in such a small room. I turn my back just for a second to put my plate down on the table when I see Silas walking down the hall with Carlisle Cullen. I huddle a bunch of dirty plates from the table and retreat to the kitchen, away from their sight. They are so engrossed in their conversation that they don't notice me sprinting to the kitchen. I forget in order for them to leave the building, they have to walk by the wide open kitchen.