Chapter 17

Bella's P.O.V

First it was the light patting on the floor, then it was the little giggle, followed by more patting that then I came to realize as I shook off my sleepy daze that they were very small footsteps. If I had been at the motel, or in a whole different scenario, then I would have been scared shitless that I just heard little giggles coming from the hallway. But the more I listened, the more I realized it was probably Emma. I got off the bed and made my way to the hallway. First I saw the flash of her blonde hair, running down the hall, followed by another giggle.

I follow her down the stairs, as quietly as I can because Silas and Luke are still sleeping in the living room and walk to the kitchen. Emma is standing in front of the backyard door, her hand lifting up to open the door. I want to call out her name, but I know well enough that won't stop her. I practically throw myself at her and grab her hand before she could turn the door handle. She looks at me startled, I've scared her. I shake my head slightly, taking her hand away from the door handle.

How the hell do I tell her to go back to sleep? I look around the room, trying to find a pen and paper but it's too dark to see, does she even know how to read yet? I point to the ceiling and then make a pillow with my hands and lean my head against them. She seems to get the idea because she nods and takes my hand and walks out of the kitchen with me. She's a fast walker for someone with really short and cubby legs. I catch glimpse of Silas sleeping on the couch as we pass by. Did he not hear her? Once we make it to the top of the stairs, I point to the room where her grandma is sleeping. Emma has other plans. She hugs her teddy bear and walks to my bedroom, pulling the sheets and climbing on the bed. She gets herself comfortable, tilting her pillow a bit, the same way Silas does and pulls the covers over her little feet, covering herself and her teddy bear.

She looks at me, still standing by the door, and smiles shyly at me. I guess that means she wants to sleep here. I walk over to my side of the bed, leaving the door open just in case they want to come looking for her and climb on the bed. I lay on my side, looking at her as she hugs her bear and then looks at me with a smile. Some of her blonde hair falls over her little cheek, so I pull it away, tugging it behind her ear. Her cheek is so soft and warm. My actions make her smile grow and I even find myself smiling with her.

Today I've learned more about Silas than I ever thought I would and it wasn't by talking. It was by the way he interacted with everyone in this house. I could see why he would trust the lives of his mother and daughter to Luke, aside from the fact I can't stand him, he looks like a dedicated man. The way he treats Silas' mother with so much admiration and respect, the way he treats Emma as if she was his little niece. I can see he has his heart in the right place, but the thought scares me more than anything in the world. If he is in fact a noble man and he hates me, there has to be a reason. But what can that reason be?

Silas' relationship with his daughter was something that felt me in awe. This little girl is his whole world. His face lit up whenever she ran in the room and into his arms. The way he looked at her, played with her, or anything that had to do with her was enough to leave me speechless. And to lay here with her, watching her eyes get heavier with sleep, I come to hate her mother. How could she abandon her daughter? This beautiful little angel.

* * *

I feel her before I can see her. She's shaking, but not in a feeling cold manner, but more in a laughing manner. When I open my eyes, for a moment blinded by the light in the room, I notice she has found her way into my arms. Both my arms are wrapped around her, she's lying on her back, her hands playing with my hair. Our heads are leveled so when I look at her, my eyes meet her green ones and her smile grows bigger.

She signs something and I frown, not understanding what she is saying.

"She's saying Good Morning."