Chapter 8

Edward's P.O.V

I wasn't expecting much out of the Outing the coming weekend, but heck these small town people know how to have fun. It was almost like field trip for adults. There was scheduled dinners and club parties and concerts that we could choose from. Bella was all kinds of excited to attend and to be honest, so was I. I've spent these last few weeks of my life worried sick, on alert, being a complete different version of myself. I wanted to have fun, enjoy the weekend for once and make the most out of my time with Bella.

We arrived at the Heathman hotel by two in the afternoon and Emmett was already talking about a great bar we'd be going to tonight.

"I hope you're not lightweight, Silas because ain't no one gonna bitch out tonight." He slapped my shoulder hard and gave me a wink before walking in his room with Rosalie.

I follow Bella into ours. "Exactly how bad can it get with a drunk Emmett?"

Bella chuckles. "Trust me, last year he got so drunk he stripped to his briefs and danced to Cupid's Shuffle."

"Lovely," I say between my teeth. Not at the fact that Emmett stripped down, but for the unnecessary information that he wears briefs, not boxers. I always took him as a kind for the going commando type. I drop our bags on our bed and turn to her as she locks our door. "You sure your dad is cool with us sharing a room together? He didn't seem all so happy about us dating."

Little after my little pissing contest with Paul, Sheriff Swan made a quick visit down by the diner where he took Bella outside for thirty minutes before coming to me. I knew it was bad news the moment she walked back in and looked at me with pleading eyes.

* * *

I see Bella walk away from her dad through the window and I take that as my cue to go. We weren't expecting her dad to drop by, nevertheless with a look that could almost kill. Bella walks back in, puffing her cheeks and when her eyes meet mine, she slightly shakes her head. I don't have a chance to ask her what's wrong, Sheriff Swan walks in behind her.

"Henry, I take you wouldn't mind if I borrow another of your waiters?" His eyes shift to me. "It won't take long."

Seth snorts beside me. "You're in so much trouble with the Sheriff," he whispered teasingly.

"Sure thing, just make sure he's back before closing time," Billy says to him from his spot behind the register.

"I can't be in that much trouble, can I?" I whisper back.

"You tell me, you went all macho man with her ex and now you're basically the stranger that's doing his daughter in a old motel."

"They haven't done it yet," Leah whispered to us as she walked back. Seth snorts again, trying to contain his laughter.

How did she...? I look at Bella at the other side of the counter, who throws a glare at Leah and gives me an apologetic smile. That's when I remember what Emmett told me: Girls tell each other everything.

"Seriously?"

"She beat it out of me! With a rag!"

Seth laughs again. "Sheriff Swan doesn't know that so if I were you, I'd bring a vest."

"Mr. Stevens, may I have a word with you?"

We're brought out of our little circle when Sheriff Swan called my name. He glares at me for a second and then walks back out. I take in a deep breath and look for reassurance at Bella that her father isn't about to shoot me outside this 24/7 diner but all her look tells me is I hope you don't die. I groan internally, dropping my rag on the counter and throwing my apron off.