Chapter 5

Edward's P.O.V

The first thing I realize when I wake up is Bella. She's lying on her side, wrapped in a blanket up to her chin with her head tilted up and her body is curled up in a small ball. Her hair fans out on the white pillow. I prop myself on my elbow and watch her sleep, something I've been doing for the last three days. I'm not very sure what happened three nights ago, but now here I am, on her bed. We do nothing but sleep. Sometimes we talk, but in the end, she curls up against me and falls asleep and I hold her. I hold her until it's time for me to go back to my bedroom.

When we talk, we talk about the town, we talk about her in some context and Waters Hotel. She's tried to talk about me, asking me about my birthplace, my family, things like that. I immediately switch it and avoid the subject. I figured the less she thought she knew about me, the better. Right? Or could I just lie completely to her? Make up a fake life, fake family, fake everything. Make her believe she knows me only to break all that trust when I disappear? When I have to back to my daughter and leave her behind.

I'm not stupid. I'm not going to allow whatever it is I have with Bella distract me from my real mission here. My life, my goal and my reason to live is Emma. Not Bella. I can't let her distract me from that.

The sun soon starts rising on the horizon, rays peeking through her window. I take that as my cue to leave. I lean down and kiss her forehead softly before I'm out her door. My phone is already ringing when I enter my room. It's a video call, it's Emma.

I smile when my little girl with messy hair appears on the screen, sitting on my mother's lap. She bounces up and down and I have to remind her to be careful with her grandmother, her legs aren't as strong as they used to be.

"Daddy, Mama's birthday is going to be soon," she signs. "What are we getting her this year?"

"Anything you want to give her, baby."

She thinks about it, pouting her little lips and pretending to really what to think. Then her face lights up and she looks at my mother and back at me.

"How about a puppy?!"

Mom laughs. "Baby girl, are you sure that's a birthday present for me or for you?"

Emma laughs, she's been caught in her little scheme. I laugh too and look at my mother.

"What do you want for you birthday, Ma?"

Ma sighs and leans her head against Emma's. "I want my boy back, Edward."

I sigh. "I was kind of hoping you'd ask for a dog or a cat."

Ma shakes her head slightly. "My baby. How are you doing there?"

"Uh... it's-it's fine," I stammer. "I got a job as a waiter... Not bad. People are nice... nothing to complain about yet."

"You better do as that man Carlisle says. Luke tells me he keeps an eye on you."

"Yeah, he's been great help."

"And he also said Carlisle's colleagues can help us with... her."

She motions to Emma on her lap. My little girl isn't even paying attention to us, or maybe her Grandmother because she's busy staring at me through the camera. I wink at her and blow her a kiss, which she returns with my favorite smile.

"The referral is being sent to them. We are trying to keep everything on the low profile, we don't want your names popping up and have them find you."

She nods. "Understood. So who'd you meet?"

"What?" I blurt. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm your mother, Edward. I know you better than anyone. You have that look on your face, you've been stressing about something. Now I know we are in a very tight situation but that's not the look you had when you left. This look is one I've seen before. You're stressing over a woman. So, who is she?"