Chapter 13 : Restoration

Makoto found himself smiling in content as he floated on his back and kicked the water in steady pace.

He didn't care about the fact that he jumped into the pool in his green sweater and chocolate shorts, he didn't care about the risk of catching a cold after swimming so late at night. At least, Coach Sasabe isn't going to yell their ears off for trespassing the swim club – the sweet privilege of being one of his students. He found his content having contact with the chlorined liquid with Haru to accompany him.

The indoor pool was deserted and they're the only who used it currently. Splashes echoed through the silence, trails of ripples were left behind as they swam. The moonlight was shining and gave the perfect quantity of lightening of glowing blue for them.

Everything was perfect and everything was in peace at the moment.

Makoto dove in, swimming with agile even though he was completely submerged. His trademark smile never left his face as he swam towards Haru.

Haru did the same, submerging himself to cut through the clear liquid with the swift kicks of his feet. The two swam and switched places as they did so – Haru hovered over Makoto and finally Makoto hovered over Haru as his back faced the surface.

The brunette smiled and reaching out for Haru. The black-haired boy accepted it and letting Makoto to pull him to the surface. The two ended up swimming side by side, floating on their back. Makoto didn't let go of Haru's hand as they did so.

"It feels good." Makoto said with a gleeful smile. Haru looked at him for a moment before setting his gaze to the ceiling.

The two swam aside and resting their head on the floating separator, back still facing the water as their float.

"I thought I would surely change when I became a middle schooler. Thought I wanted to." Makoto admitted. "But then, at some point, I just desperately felt like I had to."

The brunette titled his head to look at Haru. "Nao-senpai said to me... that maybe I didn't really like swimming, but just did it because you were there."

"I see." Haru said as he drew his gaze away to face the ceiling. Makoto did the same as he continued.

"I had never thought of that before, so I don't know if I really liked swimming or if I just wanted to be with you, Haru and [Nickname]-chan."

Haru contemplated for a moment before opening his mouth, "That's why you were avoiding me and [Nickname]?"

"I wasn't trying to do that, but... when I was near you and [Nickname]-chan, I just felt even more confused," Makoto admitted and Haru looked at him as he talked. "Being with you two was painful. But it must have just seemed like I was avoiding you."

"Sorry, Haru." Makoto apologized as he looked straight at Haru's blue orbs.

Haru averted his gaze. "It's fine. I was at fault, too."

Makoto found his smile wider.

"So, did you find your answer?" Haru asked.

"I think it's both." Makoto answered.

"Both?"

"Yeah..." Makoto nodded. "For a bit, I didn't have any confidence in my own feelings. I tried to force myself, but..."

The brunette scooped up some water in his palm and lifted it. "Right now, this is really fun. Just swimming feels really good."

Makoto lifted his palm over his face and opened it, letting the liquid on his palm fell and splashed his forehead when he closed his eyes. "I really do like swimming."