we've done it all before

Lunch passed by quickly.

He'd be lying if he didn't admit getting along so well with Simón and Nina had surprised him. Matteo had known the former for years and yet, never really hung out before; sure, they'd been polite to each other in every occasion they'd crossed paths, even bordering friendly, but he'd never really contemplated about being his friend, as he was quite content with his small circle. Looking back, he thought he probably would've met Luna, properly, long ago. Maybe to the point of being friends -or more- by now.

He didn't let himself dwell on it too much, it was pointless now to think of the 'what if's' of the past. Now, Nina, was the one who surprised him the most. The girl was super shy at first, barely speaking, and when she did, she did so on a very quiet voice. As the minutes ticked by, though, he noticed her getting more comfortable and vocal; not to the point of being a chatterbox, but she laughed and joked considerably more than before. And Matteo could see why she was so popular when it came to her books, she had a very interesting way of seeing things, always looking for a twist in what seemed a given. It was also entertaining to see his best friend nod repetitively to everything that came out of her mouth.

Matteo spent most of it staring at Luna, though. At first, her mood had remained the same as when she talked to him, vaguely there and lowkey moody; as soon as the food arrived, and she started eating, however, she went back to a more cheery and talkative one. She laughed and joked around more than anyone else, her only competition being Gastón trying to embarrass him constantly with tales from their teenage years. His stalker-ish ways had helped him for the first time ever, because he was able to see her sneaking looks at him through lunch, blushing every time she realized she had been caught. Matteo got fond of the pink on her cheeks easily enough.

And then dessert time came, and he almost begged everyone to agree, as his bravery slipped from his body and dread started to spread in him. The girls complained they were too full to eat a whole dessert by themselves; luckily, Gastón took pity on him, ordering a brownie, and Luna and Nina agreed to share one piece of chocolate cake, while Simón offered to share his apple pie with Ámbar. He chose the least fulfilling thing they has as dessert, ordering coffee ice cream.

But then dessert disappeared, bills were paid and now he was deciding how to ask Luna to his apartment without sounding like a pervert. Gastón had to go back to his office, so they could talk freely there, without interruptions -he was almost sure she lived with Nina, which vetoed her place.

Gastón approached him while Luna said her goodbye's to Simón and Ámbar. "Do you want to take the car? I can take a taxi." Matteo shook his head.

"No. I'll suggest her to take her car, so she can easily escape if it gets too much for her. It wouldn't feel right to let her go alone on public transportation if shit hits the fan, and I doubt she'd let me drive her home."

His best friend patted his back comfortingly. "Don't claim defeat so fast, bro, she could surprise you." He tried to smile, even if he knew chances were slim. "I'll take Nina home, then. I think that's her car, but I doubt she'll say no to Luna driving it."

"Thanks." His friend nodded, giving him an encouraging smile and another pat, before going in Nina's direction to tell her the plan. He saw him lean on her ear, whispering while pointing to the parking lot. Nina turned her head to look at him, nodding at him with a small smile. Then she went to get Luna. Gastón turned to give him a thumb up.

It was now his turn to tell his goodbye's to Ámbar and Simón. The latter simply shook his hand, smiling his farewell. Ámbar hugged him, whispering a 'good luck' in his ear, winking as she left.