Intro

Rebeca handed me the cup of tea while my hands barely gripped onto it in order to not drop it. We were still in our bloody clothing and everything felt so surreal. It had been hours since Penny went into his rest and I knew Rebeca's questions would soon pop in the air like soap bubbles. There would be too many and I'd be struggling to ignore them all but that was the least of my worries. The sound of birds seemed like they were calling me outside. Trying to make me walk back into the familiar tunnels just to feel home again. The texture of the leather couch and the sound of the kettle on the stove felt a little too comfortable for me. I had grown accustomed to different living conditions while with Penny. I had begun familiarizing myself with leaking pipes and dark passageways. Now it seemed like the most of simplest things such busy streets and the sound of doors closing made me feel like a stranger.

And that got me thinking

How long before I grew accustomed to my old lifestyle?

How long before the sound of the once familiar bells made me cock my head to the side in confusion?

How long before red balloons appearing in random places made me grow nervous?

How long before the smell of the circus made me look all around my apartment trying to locate the uninvited scent?

How long before Penny felt like a stranger to me?

I didn't know exactly how long
But I did know that 27 years was long enough

And that scared me...

Rebeca sat across from me with curious eyes. She wasn't drinking her tea, neither of us were. Even in bloody clothes we tried to pretend everything was normal. Sitting in her living room catching up on life like we had done multiple times before. But this time neither of us were speaking. Both of us were afraid to speak about what had happened back there, afraid that talking about it made it more real than it already was.

She was afraid of how unreal everything was.
I was afraid of how expected everything was.

We were afraid of the emotions we had towards the obscure situations that had occurred back in those deep tunnels. We wanted to keep those dark occurrences hidden within the murky cement walls.

But although those tunnels were deep, they also had openings and soon everything would emerge from within and into the light. Into our reality and into our false ideas of safety that we held onto so tightly. Nothing, not even the darkest of secrets could be kept under and asleep.

Not even Penny...

With widened eyes Rebeca quickly put her cup down. She looked up at me, her face still pale from the shock. Her lips were chapped and her chin trembled as she spoke.

"I've always had your back" she said as she played with the hem of her dirty sweater.

I half heartedly expected her to pick up the phone and dial the police. I expected her to convince me that I belonged in some type of asylum.

"And this time is no different" she said with more energy than her body could produce. Almost like she had forced herself to mutter that simple sentence.

"But you need to tell me everything" she said while gripping her hands together in anxiousness. My eyes slowly trailed upwards lazily in order to meet hers. I was just as tired, even more so, but even then was I shocked by her words.

"We'll be here for a while" I said getting myself comfortable in my seat. Rebeca seemed a bit surprised at my decision to accommodate to her needs. I saw her shoulders physically relax as she wiped away a bead of sweat that had formed on her forehead.

"There's no rush" she said and I almost laughed at her remark.

I had 27 years

There was no rush...

____________________________________

Welcome to book II of Storm Drains.

If you are new and aren't familiar with Storm Drains you might want to check out book I "Storm Drains" before reading this one.

If you are from book I, I'm happy we have been reunited. Thank you for your continuous support it's always much appreciated. I am thrilled to have you all join me on this emotional ride once again.

Book cover and art credit to sewer-party.tumblr.com