Chapter 14

I woke up nestled into what seemed to be a warm embrace and it didn't take long to realize I had fallen asleep in penny's arms. I slowly slid up, feeling the coldness of the morning creep onto my exposed skin. I had forgotten to put on a sweater before bed. I don't even remember falling asleep if I was being completely honest.

"Lola" I heard Penny call behind me. His voice was softer than usual and it complimented the calmness of the winter morning. I was still in his grasp and had to slide myself forward to get a full visual of him. My brown tired eyes made contact with his energetic blue ones. I envied how he didn't need sleep as survival, well not on a daily basis anyways. He laid still, his back against the mahogany header of my bed. Everything was completely silent, no birds singing or cars driving by almost like the universe silenced itself completely to hear what he had to say, because in the moment he seemed just as important.

"You stayed" I said as I held back tears. I didn't know exactly why I wanted to cry but seeing Penny laying on my bed, knowing he had stayed all night with me as I slept made me feel emotional. I didn't want to admit to myself that I had missed this. I had missed how close I was to this creature that had held me in my most vulnerable moments. He seemed so calm, compared to all the evil he had made this small town endure. I had thought a lot while he was asleep. I would sit in my bathtub and scrub myself for hours, trying to get his scent and touch off of my skin. How could I love something so evil. Something that had hurt innocent beings. How could my heart belong to something that didn't even seem to own a heart.

Penny must have sensed or heard my thoughts because he quickly reached for my hand that had made its way to my ear earlier. I could feel the silk of his glove that was now warm from holding me throughout the night. I almost cried out from the sensation, I had forgotten how he felt when he was warm.

"Don't let those thoughts overcome you my dear" he said gently. I shut my eyes, not wanting him to read my emotions. Without even trying, he pulled me against him and I could feel the coldness of the morning disappear into thin air as I was enveloped into his warmth once again, and that's when I finally broke. I could feel hot tears stream down my face as I held onto his silk suit like my life depended on it.

"I'm scared to hate you" I said struggling to get the words out, but I knew he understood. It felt like I was drowning in my sorrow as he held me through my emotions. It wasn't like him to be this compassionate and caring, and that scared me even more... because I knew we both felt that something was wrong.

He didn't say anything, just held me for what felt like hours and even in my broken state, I felt comfort in the distance, like the memory of a distant family member who took care of me when I was younger. I might not have kept contact with them, but I always knew they were there and whenever Penny was around, even in the worst of situations, I knew there was a sense of calmness lingering in the air, I just didn't breathe deep enough to sense it.

"You are not happy" Penny said. I felt my body sting at his words. Even though I knew that might have been the truth in the situation, it was something that I did not want to hear. I let my
head fall against his shoulder, symbolizing my white flag.

"I will have to go soon" he said as his words tossed me around, dragged me to hell and brought me back only to do it again in an infinite loop.

"I have to go, if you are to be happy" he said, and I could've sworn sadness hid in his voice. It hid really well, but I could sense its presence, the same way I sensed when Penny was around, without having to even look at him.

"I have to leave...you need to be happy" he said

"Even when you are and have been my happiness..."