Chapter 6

Bored- Billie Eilish

8 months later

The rain outside hadn't stopped since the morning and it was soon to be noon. I laid on my bed staring up at my ceiling. My room was rather warm and I couldn't open the window so I had my fan lapping against my skin. My sleep dress felt like a blessing in this room temperature.

I played with strands of my hair as I continued to blow bubbles with the pink gum I chewed. It was the middle of October and we had a warm rainstorm. Only in Derry.

It had been months since I had last seen Penny and slowly I felt myself begin to learn how to live without it. Without him. I still hurt whenever I thought of him, so I just stopped. I blocked out that part of my brain and decided to move on. It was a difficult thing to do, but I was able to cope for 27 years. It was a weird feeling being immortal, but I coped with it.

That's all I could do.
Cope.

A knock on my door made me sit up abruptly. The bubble I had blew popped over my lips as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I quickly got out of bed and walked over to my front door. I peeked outside my small window that faced the front of my small home. I had moved a couple months back. After a raise at work I decided that I no longer wanted to live in an apartment but a house instead. All because I wanted to grow and have my own garden. The one thing I could have control over because I was tired of feeling hopeless.

I stared out towards the young man who stood on my porch, shielding himself from the rain. I turned around to spit my gum out into the nearby trash can before opening the door.

"Can I help you?" I asked looking at him and then behind him.

"Hello, my name is Lucas" he said with an adorable smile. He turned back towards the small green house that sat in front of mine.

"I'm your new neighbor and thought I'd stop by to say hello to everyone around the neighborhood" he said turning back to me with that same kind smile.

"In the rain?" I asked suspiciously as I looked up at the sky that cried.

"Uhh, guess I didn't think this one through" he joked as he continued to look at me.

"It is a warm rainstorm" he said putting his hands in the pockets of his dark skinny jeans.

"Its lola by the way" I said when I noticed I hadn't introduced myself.

"Nice to meet you lola" he said extending out his hand for me to shake. I took it carefully after feeling more comfortable to open the door a bit wider.

"I'd invite you in but I only have milk and cereal" I said a little bit embarrassed.

"As long as their lucky charms" he joked.

"They actually are" I said sending us both into giggles. After a few more minutes of introducing ourselves I could hear the storm grow heavier.

"Well, you should head home before the storm gets worse" I said when I realized the rain began to pour harder.

"You're right" he agreed.

"I'll finish my greetings tomorrow" he said and with that he began walking down my driveway. Before crossing the street, he turned around to face me.

"Forgot to tell you" he yelled over the rain.

"Nice garden!" He said as rain continued to soak him. I felt myself beginning to laugh at his silliness. Before I could respond to his compliment, his face grew serious as he looked towards the back of my home. He looked confused and worried before suddenly turning around and walking off. I shrugged it off as part of his quirky personality as I closed the front door.