Chapter 8

I laid on my back, the heat in my room killing me. I really needed to invest in some better air conditioning but this old town only offered so much. My silk dress clung to my skin that was peppered in light sweat. It was already midnight and I hadn't been able to sleep. I couldn't even open the window due to the rainstorm outside. It hadn't stopped raining for days and the townspeople were beginning to get worried. I loved the rain and deeply convinced myself it was penny's doing just to please me.

Just as his name flashed across my mind, I could see his dark silhouette appear in the darkest corner of my room.

"It's raining again" I said looking out towards the darkness that my window framed.

"I love the rain" I said looking over to him. He crept closer, appearing slowly through the small crack of light the moonlight gave to my room.

"I know you do" he said emotionless looking at me through blue eyes.

"You're a stranger" I said slowly looking up at him. He stood above me, making me feel small.

"A stranger who visits me at night and is non existent in the day" I said.

"Don't ask questions" he said catching on onto what I was trying to do. I sighed annoyed, something that didn't go unnoticed, as he inched closer to me, his face inches away. I studied his face through the darkness, my hand reaching up to touch his cheek. He didn't move, just let me do it.

"You're too stubborn" he said, letting the words trickle down his lips. I wasted no time pushing my lips against his, feeling electricity all over again. I felt like he had the majority of me, and I didn't have an ounce of control. He then broke the kiss, pushing me backwards.

"Not tonight" he said. My stomach dropped at his words, the feeling of rejection washing over me. He stood up, walking over to the middle of my room with his back turned towards me. He looked around at all the photos I had hung on my walls, his finger tapping his lip as he examined them. He then turned to the mirror, looking at himself like a girl would do right before prom. Checking for flaws and new insecurities. I wondered if this was the first time he had properly looked at himself. He then clapped loudly, turned to face me.

"Well then" he said

"I must go" he said before taking long strides towards the door, as if he needed to use it anyways. My throat felt abnormally dry and I knew better than to call out the question- why?

He turned to look at me before completely disappearing into the hall. I sat in silence, trying not to question the situation when my doorbell began to ring. With furrowed eyebrows, I made my way towards the front of my house, looking around for penny as I did so, who was completely gone. I slipped aside my curtain looking out onto my porch.

My stomach sank when I saw Lucas standing outside, once again shielding himself from the rain. My hand fell onto the door knob, debating whether I should open it or not. When I heard another knock, I knew I didn't have the heart to keep him waiting in the rain.

I opened the door, thinking of ways I could get him to leave before Penny came back, if he even was coming back.

"Hey Lucas" I said looking around, making sure Penny wasn't anywhere near.

"Lola, sorry to bother" he said ignoring my odd behavior.

"I'm in need of a cliché favor" he said with his adorable smile.

"Can I borrow some sugar?" He laughed as I continued to look at him blankly.

"Of course" I said with a small smile. I turned around, letting him follow right after. I tried to do the gesture as fast as I could. I don't know what Penny would do if he walked into me giving Lucas any sort of attention. God forbid I help my neighbor.