Chapter 17

I don't know how or when we reached the neighboring town but I do know I fell asleep on the way there. My ribs felt sore as they were pressed against Penny's shoulder for quite a while. It took me a few moments of confusion after waking up to realize where I was. I had been to this town at one point in my life. I had accidentally put the wrong address for a package of mine and had to pick it up the next town over. I could see the sun setting behind the east mountains as Penny continued through the thick woods. The only thing allowing me to know which town we were in was the distant signal tower I had passed a while back when retrieving my package. I stared at it for what felt forever, as if the tower was to clear me of my confusion. Once I regained composure, I began to feel the soreness of my ribs.

"Penny" I groaned lightly shuffling around. He didn't respond to me so I continued to move around more aggressively in order to catch his attention. When I noticed that wasn't working, I bit through my pain and forced myself to look back at him. If I wasn't confused before, I sure as hell was confused now. He was wide awake, walking in a straight line towards wherever we were heading, almost like a robot. I noticed we were getting further and further away from civilization the more we carried on. That didn't seem to alarm me, Penny wasn't quite eye candy for the town.

"Penny!" I whined as I turned back to face the tower that was now completely covered by trees and the darkness of the night that was creeping in was not helping. I suddenly felt penny's grip loosen on me. I took this as an opportunity to disengage myself and that soon sent me tumbling down. I groaned in pain but the rib discomfort subsided immensely when not being pressed against him. I looked up from the ground I laid in, I noticed Penny completely still in his place.

"Penny..." I said in a somewhat comforting way but my actions were completely different. I felt myself backing up against the nearest tree. He felt like a complete stranger. We stood in silence for what felt like ages and soon my curiosity got the best of me. I made my way towards him, staring at his back the whole time to make sure he wouldn't attack me at any given moment. I could hear the crunching of leaves beneath me but everything seemed to grow fainter the closer I got to him. I could feel distant chest pains but the problem standing in front of me seemed to overcome that worry. I would worry about it later.

"Penny" I whispered as if anyone could hear us. We were deep in the woods and yet I didn't feel like we were alone. I decided to finally step in front of him and felt myself grow paralyzed when my eyes fell onto his face. His eyes were a screaming blue, almost like flashlights. I had never seen anything like it before and being with Penny had given me my fair share of sights.

I slowly reached out towards him and I could see my hand shaking. I felt a surge of comfort shoot through my veins when I felt the familiar sensation of his silk suit beneath my fingertips. He stood still and in that very moment it felt as if the whole world stood still, as if my whole world stood still.

I didn't know how long I waited before Penny came back to me. I was hungry, tired and worried. Everything was a blur, I felt his hands grab me and fling me over his shoulder once again, causing me to groan in pain. He held me close to him as he rushed through the woods, the complete opposite of his demeanor from our early travels.

I remember I kept saying his name multiple times and he never responded. He'd rub my back every few moments or so to give me comfort and the pit in my stomach grew bigger. Something wasn't right.

We made it to shelter that night. An old abandoned train station left to decay in the deep woods. I walked in and noticed the nicely decorated furniture placed around our room. It wasn't new, far from it, but it had an antique style to it and it showed penny's efforts. As well as his planning of all this. He must've known about this situation way before to have enough time to collect all this.

"I wanted to make it feel like home for you" he said softly as we gazed around the room that obliviously used to be an office. This told me we would be here a while.

"Yes, thank you" I said back so lowly I could barely hear myself.

"The water runs" he said sounding quite proud of himself.

"It took long to find a place that had that" he said looking away. A look of worry quickly showed on his face but soon disappeared.

"Why" I asked trying to pry answers from him. We stood in silence for a few seconds before penny grabbed me gently and lead me to the bed. I could feel the soft sheets under my skin as my back fell onto the bed. Penny didn't say a word and instead held me tightly.

"Lola" he said in a serious yet calming voice. I could feel the heat radiating off of him and it gave me as much comfort as it could since this whole sequence of events.

"I am afraid to lose you" he said as his grip grew a little tighter. I held my breath at his words.

"You won't lose me" I said as I thought how ridiculous it was that he believed I'd be able to leave him. Even if I wanted to, I'd always be attached to him one way or another.

"I'm not leaving you" I said trying to reassure him.

"I know" he whispered back.

"And I'm not leaving you for anyone" I said as I turned to look at him. His calm blue eyes gave me butterflies for a few seconds but they faded when I saw the look on his face.

"Lola" he said as he cut me off before I began talking again.

"I'm not afraid you'll leave" he said.

"I'm afraid you'll be taken from me..." he said as he held me like he had never held me before.

And now I was afraid too.