A typical day in Jace's, Isabelle's and Alec's life at McKinley High.

Altogether

Altogether.

"Jace, wake up! Alec made waffles!" the teenager's adoptive brother said, jumping onto the bed.

"Max!" another voice—a female, this time—came from the corridor. "Come back here, you know Jace doesn't like it when you little freak wake him up."

"But there's waffles," the nine-year-old boy complained, getting off Jace.

"It's alright, Izzy," the blond student mumbled, passing a hand on his tired face. "I'm coming."

Isabelle sighed and took Max's hand to drag him downstairs so he would no longer bother their brother, who was heading for the bathroom. Their elder brother was setting the table, a plate full of warm food in his hand. He smiled at their sight.

"Are you hungry, guys?"

"I could eat a whole elephant!" Max giggled, reaching out a hand to take a waffle.

Alec sat by him and helped him spread marmalade on his waffle. Meanwhile, he got asked by Isabelle, already eating up her dish, "Mom and dad?"

The dark-haired student took a paper out of his apron and read emotionlessly through his glasses, "Gone. Diplomatic affair. Coming back tonight. If not, tomorrow in the morning. Look after Max. Robert and Maryse Lightwood."

Alec petted his younger brother's hair as Isabelle shrugged. They were used to be left alone in Lima, Ohio while their parents travelled through America for "diplomatic affairs". The three teenagers had practically raised Max by themselves anyway.

"What's that smell? Did you let Isabelle cook again?" Jace said, entering the kitchen. He had a big smile on his vicious lips, and winked at Isabelle as she faked to hit him. "I'm kidding, Izzy. God knows there's nothing better than waking up to the result of your incredible cooking skills." Alec handed his brother a few waffles he had prepared for him, and watched him eat them up with appetite. "They're delicious, Alec."

The taller boy blushed and nodded, then quickly addressed Max, "Come on, buddy, let's get started for school. We're almost leaving." As he was going away, he turned to Izzy. "Mind doing the washing up just for this once?"

She sighed theatrically but got started while Jace tidied the table. Then they were in the car that their parents had got them, and that Jace was more likely to drive each time. They quickly dropped Max at primary school, promising him they would be there to pick him up in the afternoon, and got to McKinley High.

Jace locked the Audi, and turned to Alec before going to class. "You. Call me if you get in trouble again, okay?"

"I won't. Get in trouble, I mean."

"Well you do not know that. Promise me you'll call."

Alec looked down and nodded silently. His blond brother smiled and left, directing a last wink at Isabelle. The young Sophomore girl kissed her brother goodbye, following Jace.