Prom night.

Alec

Alec.

Alexander was shaking nervously. It was the first time he truly dressed up for a big event since Selectionals, that had taken place a few weeks before. And dressing up again after that did not making him feel really good. They had ended up third out of four teams, although they had trained really hard to get there. They had given their best. They'd even had a lot of fun being altogether. Alec had even spent two whole days just with Mike.

But it hadn't been enough to win. And now he was supposed to go to prom night, and dress up for the occasion. He didn't know if he resented more the Committee–which had chosen to make everyone dress up in the theme of myths and legends–or his sister–for forcing him to go.

He felt like every bit of his costume was about to fall down, and he already had the impression he was eating some feathers from his outfit. Isabelle had created his wings for him, and Jace had taken him shopping for nice, white clothes.

"I look ridiculous," he whispered to himself.

"You're beautiful," a voice replied from behind the half-open door of his bedroom. Max was hiding in the corridor. Alec told him to come in, smiling in embarrassment. "Do you really think people will like it? And do you–do you think Mike might like it?"

"He'll just love it! I do." Max reached out for his head, and Alec leant to pick him up. "It's a nice crown."

"That's an aureole. I'm an angel. Supposed to be, anyway."

"I think you're nice. I wish I could come and dress up like a dinosaur!"

"You'd look so great. But tonight, you'll stay with mom and dad, okay?"

The little boy nodded sadly and jumped out of his brother's arms and fled to see Jace dressing up instead. The tall teenager took off his glasses for the first time in ages, putting lenses on for a change. Alec then reached for his perfume and put some on, hoping it would cover the sweat his stress sparked. As he was doing so, the doorbell rang. He startled, and ran downstairs, slowing down only in the hallway.

"Alec?" his mother interrupted, her head popping out of the kitchen. "Wow, you're radiant, honey." She continued, "Is that your date?"

"Hum, yeah. He–He said he would come and pick me up. I–I told you and dad, remember?"

"I just wondered if we could ever meet him?"

Jace and Max descended from the stairs at that moment, and the little boy screamed, "I am Batman!" in reference to his brother's costume. Jace was indeed pretending to make him fly, laying him in a horizontal position in mid-air. Then he realized Alec was at the door, and Jace dropped him so he could run to Alexander and open the door himself. "Mike!" he yelled, jumping in his arms.

"Well...," Mike laughed, kissing the boy's cheek. "I hope you like magic. Look." Winking discreetly at Alec, he put the boy on the ground and made a few airy movements with his hands and a bouquet of red roses popped out of nowhere. Max laughed his head off and applauded, completely amazed. Mike made a step towards Alec and handed him the flowers, smiling at his appearance. "You look marvelous, Alexander. No glasses tonight?"