Chapter 2

"Fuck"

    So far this entire morning has done nothing but completely kicked my ass. To start off this wonderful morning, I woke up with my ass extremely sore. Not to mention that my dad had already left so I had to walk to school. He didn't even leave a note! I mean the least that 'Daddy Dearest' could've done is get me a Tylenol or something. The walk to school was hell. The summer is almost here and the tar on the street was practically bubbling. Now I'm stuck on a problem in math class, one of my least favorite subjects of all times.
    So I think it's safe to say that things couldn't get any worse.
    "Jace, would you like to solve the problem on the board?"
    Nope. Things could definitely get worse. I shyly look up from my blank sheet of paper and up at the board. My math teacher looks at me expectantly. Lord knows I don't want to answer this question.
"I don't know the answer", I say quietly. I hear a few snickers from my classmates but I try to pay them no attention. My teacher shakes her disapprovingly. She moves into the next person and I turn back to my blank paper.
"Hey, don't worry about it Jace", my best friend Ali says to me. Ever since lunch started she's been trying to get me to cheer up due what happened in class. I should be grateful to have a friend like her comforting me. But I only succeed in sulking even more. "What's got you so upset about it? It was only a stupid question."
I sigh and look at Ali. "I know it's stupid but I feel like a complete dumbass. You should've seen them, Ali. They must think I'm a total idiot."
As if on cue, a group of boys walk next to us and say "Hey Jace, did thinking that much hurt your brain or do you feel okay?"
Ali glares at them. "Oh shut it Evan. You can't even think enough to satisfy your own girlfriend without needing someone to do it for you." I can't help but laugh a little at that. Evan's face turns completely red, contrasting with his brown hair. "You're gonna regret saying that little girl."
Ali smirks. "Or what? You're gonna need viagra for your muscles too?"
Without saying anything, Evan storms off, his friends following him. I turn to Ali. "You shouldn't have done that. You know he'll be back."
"And if he hits me, then it'll be the day Hell freezes over." I chuckle. It's embarrassing to think about it, but Ali has even bigger balls than me. I could never talk like that to Evan, even if you paid me. "Besides," she continues. "No one messes with my best friend." This causes me to smile.
Ali's been my best friend since third grade. She's always been a bit of a hothead and it's gotten her into some trouble. But it also comforts me because I know that she can fend for herself if need be. We continue to eat lunch peacefully with no further incidents.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'm home," I call out to no one in particular. My dad won't be home until at least 8. It works almost perfectly for me because I go to bed at 10. So only 2 hours of having to deal with him. Before I can sit down and relax, I hear a knock at the door.
I stand up and open the door. On the other side stands a man in a grey t-shirt, black pants, and white sneakers. He wears a dark baseball cap that covers his eyes, so I can only see his mouth.
"Umm," I stutter. "W-Who are you?"
"Is Mr.Roberts home?" He completely ignores my question. "No," I tell him. "Is there something you need? Or do you want to leave a message?"
His mouth is set in a firm line and I can't even see his eyes so I have no idea what he's thinking. "Just tell him that I dropped by." He turns on his heel and walks away to a black Sudan before getting in. The man drives off, leaving me confused. I shut the door and lean against it.
Just who the hell was that?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I sit in silence as my dad sets the plate in front of me. On it is Mac and cheese, turkey, and beans. He gets his own plate before sitting across from me and begins to eat his own food. After a couple of moments, he glances at me and notices that I haven't touched my food.
"You can eat," he says. Immediately I dive in. We eat in silence for a few minutes before he breaks it again. "What's wrong, bug. You seem upset." Without looking up I answer. "I'm fine."
   I don't look up at him. I already know what I'm in for tonight. Fear trickles down my spine at the thought of what he'll do to me. "Jace-", before he can say anything else, the doorbell rings. My dad sighs and goes to answer it. As soon as he's gone, I slump in my seat. I can only imagine what he was about to say. The phrase 'saved by the bell' has never been more true. At that moment I'm grateful for whoever decided to ring our doorbell at 8:00 at night. But at the same time I wonder who it could be. I stand up and walk towards the living room. Immediately, I begin to hear voices.
   "-Do not want you anywhere near him!" I hear my father yelling. As I get closer, I hear a much more calm voice talking back to him. "Right now I don't care what you want. He has a right."
   I walk behind my dad and look over his shoulder. I have to stand on my tip-toes a bit because my dad practically towers over me. He stands at 6'4 while I'm only 5'3. The man standing in front of my dad is the same man from earlier. I completely forgot to even tell my dad about him.
   "Go away," my dad yells.
    "James-"
     "Do NOT call me that!" He's screaming now. Whoever this guy is, he's one of the only people I know to make my dad angry. There are few people to make the great James Roberts lose his composure. Except me that is. Before my panic attack can rise up, the man speaks again.
"James, please refrain from raising your voice. He's eventually going to meet me, whether you like it or not." With that said, the man turns to me. He lifts his hat. I can see his eyes clearly now. They're a hazel color and he stares at me intently. He turns leaves as soon as he came. I look at my dad. His back is still to me. Even when he shuts the door and starts to go back into the dining room, he doesn't look at me. I don't say anything in fear of angering him more than he already is.
Before he goes into the dining room, he turns toward me. His brown eyes scream anger and his face is scrunched up with a look that I know all too well. I duck my head down. He's like a lion right now. Meeting his stare means that I'm challenging him. And that means that he could turn unstable any minute now. I feel his cold fingers touch me. They lift my chin up, forcing me to look at him.
Smack!!
My head snaps to the side. My cheeks burn from the impact with his hand. Before I can do anything, he punches my chest. The force blows my breath away and knocks me down. I lay on the floor and attempt to catch my breath. He kicks my side. I think I hear a crack but I don't know. I open my eyes and see his foot come toward me but I shut my eyes again when I feel my head kicked back. I see stars for a moment as I lie there. No more punches come. My short moment of peace is shattered when cold fingers wrap themselves around my throat. I look in terror at my father. His eyes are glazed over and wild. They look predatory as he stares down at me.
  "Listen to me. You will never talk to that man. If you do there will be severe consequences. Do you understand?" His grip tightens around my neck with each word and I'm finding it harder to breath. I croak out a "yes sir" before he lets me go. My head drops to the floor with a bang and I groan. With blurry eyes, I watch as he walks up the stairs.
   I look on the couch next to me and notice something small and white. I gently pick it up and bring in closer towards me. I hold my small stuffed rabbit in my arms and hold it tight against my chest. 'Harry,' I think sorrowfully.
   The tears I had been holding back finally fell as I held the only thing keeping me sane in this world. The only thing that didn't judge me or hurt me. My little Harry....