Chapter 14

Once we had eaten we went for a walk outside to make to most of the sun while it was setting.

     Hues of golden yellow, pink, light red and orange splashed and blended in together while the sun slowly started to disappear. I gazed up at the sky in wonder as me and Tristan walked down the footpath together, probably a little too far from each other for my liking, but I wasn’t going to make a move on him or anything. I wanted all the friends I could get, and I definitely didn’t want Tristan to keep his distance because I was flirting with him.

     “It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Tristan whispered as we were walking, breaking the silence.

     The quiet hum of cars in the distance and the crickets starting up was the only noises I could hear apart from the occasional shriek and yell from children playing somewhere, making everything seem so peaceful.

     “It really is,” I agreed.

     We were in one of my favourite parts of the city – a quiet little street with small tourist shops lined up with their festive colors and the soft glow from the lights inside them.

     This part of the street was done with bricks not asphalt because it was one of those places that you could just cruise slowly through in a car, which I preferred.

     We passed big potted plants with mini trees covering the area with occasional park seats for people to sit on.

     It was so quiet because this part of the town wasn’t visited much – mainly in the day on weekends, but I didn’t understand why heaps of people weren’t here at the moment, because it was simply amazing. It almost felt like me and Tristan were the only people in the world, but maybe that wasn’t such a bad thing. I wouldn’t have to worry about stupid cheerleaders or anything like that. The world would be mine.

     “Thanks for... everything,” I said, turning to Tristan, the light from the sunset painting his face beautiful shades of orange. “I mean, you are my only friend at the moment. I’m just saying I appreciate you hanging out with me.”

     Tristan gave me a crooked smile, sending my heart skyrocketing. “The pleasure is all mine.”

     I felt his hand meet mine as he caressed it slowly before entwining his fingers with my own. I tried not to grin because it probably would have broken my face from being so big, so I settled for a contented smile. I liked the way his hand felt – smooth and soft unlike most guys whose hand would be dry and calloused from playing sports or doing something like that.

     That was what I liked about Tristan – he wasn’t like other guys. He was unique and kind, he didn’t mind what other people thought about him and he certainly didn’t like any stupid cheerleading girl.

      We walked in comfortable silence for a while down the street alone, until the sun disappeared, making the sky darken into a dark periwinkle blue; faint twinkling stars starting to show up on the horizon.

     “I’ve had a great time,” I said to Tristan in a hushed voice. “It’s been really fun just being together.”

     Tristan squeezed my hand. “Me too,” he agreed. “I don’t really get out much and I think I gave mom some relief when she found out I was going to see someone for once.”

     “Why don’t you have more friends?” I asked him. “It’s surprising because you seem really nice.”

     Tristan shrugged. “I haven’t really gone out of my way to meet people and they don’t go out of their way to meet me.”