Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I have always love my mother. She inspired me so much. But, if I tell her how much I adored her, she would not be pleased with me. My mother does not think highly of herself. She thinks she is some ordinary woman who is only good at taking care of her family, me especially.

Smiling it up at her, I could not help but bask in her glow. Her sun kissed skin radiated a comforting warmth, with some freckles dotting lightly over her nose and cheeks. Her blonde, waist length hair moved and shone like the finest silk money could buy. Her green eyes reminded me of the fresh spring, the colour of the new leaves blooming on the trees, and yet they still glittered like diamonds.

She sun was setting, its light casting a golden glow on my mother in her white nightdress as she sat on the edge of the bed beside me. Her smile, like the sun, too was glowing and warm. Brushing her fingers over my cheek, she softly hummed our favourite nursery rhyme, Mockingbird.

"Goodnight, my sweet princess," my mother cooed. "Remember, when the sun sets and darkness falls, that is when your eyelids fall too and you fall into a deep sleep."

"Yes mother," I replied tiredly. Ever since I was a baby, my mother always said this to me. Nobody was to be awake when the sun had finally set, taking its warm light and shrouding us the cold darkness. She always said that it was dangerous at night, that beasts and monsters roam when darkness falls and the only way to survive, is to sleep.

Of course I think the world of my mother, but her superstitions are rather... Odd. I asked my friends if their mothers said the same things to them once when I was younger; they all said that although my mother was gorgeous, she was crazy.

"Mother? Why do beasts only come out at night?" I ask her.

"My dear, beasts come out only at night because that is where they risk less exposure to people like us. They roam the night, knowing that only a daring few would be wandering about," she whispered gently. "Now go to sleep, Isabella."

Gently, I nod my head. Feeling her lips softly kiss my rather cold forehead, my eyes flutter closed . I could feel her comforting presence leave my bed and exit my room. The small click informs me that she has closed my door. Smiling to myself, I roll to my side as sleep pulls me into it's ever-loving arms.

Sitting up, my hand reaches my chest in attempt to soothe my racing heart. I could feel the cold drops of sweat beading my forehead and sticking to my clothes. Panicking, I search the room. Darkness. It is still night and I should not be awake. My mothers words coming back to me like a soft, gentle whisper of a breeze.

"If you ever wake up in the middle of the night, it is one of two things. You are being watched, or fate has decided that you must be awake and do something in that very moment."

I remember asking how would I know if it was fate, or just a nightmare. She only shook her head at me and walked off. That was all she could say about the matter. Taking a deep breath, I reached for my phone on the night stand.

It was almost midnight, the moon will be at its peak soon. Full moon tonight. No wonder she was extra crazy today. Sighing, I turned on the torch and scanned the room with the blinding light. Nothing there. My head snapped to the window but nothing was there. Nothing was watching me.

I think my mother is rubbing her crazy off on me.

Shaking my head, I slowly climb out of bed and tip toe to the window. Pulling up the window, I groaned from how heavy it was. How did my mother make this look so easy?