Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A few weeks have passed since my first shift. A few weeks since we celebrated my change. A few weeks since I met Jonathan.

While those weeks crawled along, I was up at the crack of dawn training with Jonathan. He taught me how to shoot, how to kill, how to track, how to hide and what not. We built up my muscle and stamina to help me for when I'm out in the field.

But during those few weeks, I made a new friend. A very specific friend. My wolf. I discovered that I was able to talk to my wolf and she is very kind and gentle like me. She understands how I feel and due to her being a wolf, she gives me advice during my training.

However, during those weeks, I felt lost. I felt alone. I felt incomplete. My wolf felt the same way, and we had no idea what it could be. Of course, I did not mention any of this information to the hunters. I did not want them to think I was having doubts about my position to be one of them.

"Hey princess," Jonathan smiled as he saw me exiting the house. "Want to go for breakfast?"

I nodded my head as my stomach growled in agreement. We both laughed. As he opened the car door for me, I slid into the passenger seat. He raced around the car and climbed into the driver's seat and we took off.

"So," Jonathan began. "I've been thinking about us."

"Us?" I echo, confused.

"Yeah. Well, I know I'm your trainer and everything so I've gotten to know you pretty well. Now that you're finally able to go out into the field, I've come to a realization." He says.

My heart pounds in my chest at his words. Where is this even going? When he did not continue, I spoke up. "You realized...?"

"I realized that I have fallen for you." He says hurriedly. My heart stops and I stare blankly at him. I will admit that I do feel attracted to him, but I just simply do not have any feelings for him of that sort.

"Jonathan... I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way." I told him honestly.

"I figured you'd say that. I guessed that you didn't reciprocate my feelings because you never respond to the way I touch you, the way I treat you differently to others."

"I thought it was because I'm a girl and everyone else is just a middle-aged man?"

"Yes, but even in public. I never look at any other girl when the most beautiful girl in the world is sitting with me. I don't want to talk to any other girl because I only want to talk to you." He says.

I suddenly feel awkward and guilty sitting in the car with him. All this time, Jonathan has had feelings for me and I did not even know. I did not see the way he looked at me, the way he talked to me, the way he touched me. But now when I think back about it, I can not help but scold myself for being so blind to his feelings.

"I want you, Amy." He says, his gaze frozen on me. I feel the blood drain from my face.

But we don't want you. My wolf sneered.

"Jonathan, I can't," I told him sincerely. "I can't be with you when I don't have those kinds of feelings towards you. It just doesn't feel right. I don't want to ruin this friendship that we have, we work well together and being in a relationship together could ruin that."

"But what if it doesn't?"

"What if it does? If we get into a relationship and break up for some reason, then things are going to be very awkward and complicated for not just us, but for the rest of the hunters."