Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I spent days trying to recover as quickly as I could. During that time, I spent as much time as possible researching the animal that attacked me after talking with my father about what had happened and the promise I made to myself.

We spent our time in my room researching everything. He told me that the wolf who attacked me was a werewolf; monsters who take on a human form but during a full moon they turn into a huge wolf and attack any living creature they come across.

It was then that my father had told me that he comes from a long line of werewolf hunters and still has friends in the industry. He contacted them and told them of the situation. They visited us and shared new information regarding the monsters.

I was currently reading through one of the werewolf transformation books that one of my father's friends had left for me to read through. If I was serious about doing this, I had to learn everything down to the last detail about them.

The man/woman will go through an excruciating process of transforming into their beasts. Their bones snap and stretch and bend into place. Their spine elongates and sprouts a tail. Their noses also elongate into snouts and their teeth grow long and sharp. Fur creeps out of their skin which can either feel soft or rough to touch.

There are two known ways to be a werewolf:

1. You are born from both parents who are werewolves. Their wolf DNA will mean there is a 100% chance of the child being a werewolf like its parents.

2. You are bitten and scratched by a werewolf on the full moon. You will notice small changes like increased hearing, eyesight, smell, taste etc. But it is not until the following full moon of the attack where the human will turn into a werewolf themselves.

Blood rushed through my ears as I looked up to my father to see him reading a different book. The green cover and black leather binding looked old to touch but the pages revealed the book was fairly new. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I looked at him with glassy eyes.

Looking up, he watches me with concerned eyes.

"Are you alright, my child? Are you in pain?" He asks as he puts the book down and rushes over to me. Pulling the book away from my grasp, he caresses my cheek.

"I... I was attacked by a werewolf..." I trailed off. Swallowing, I decided to continue. "It says in the book, that if a human is bitten and scratched by a werewolf that on the next full moon they will turn into a werewolf themselves. I was scratched and bitten father." I told him, tears streaming down my face.

"I was afraid that was the case. I think now is a good time as any to tell you what really happened my child.

"Your mother was not human. She was a werewolf. I was in training to be a hunter when I met her. She told me what she was and told me that she loved me after a long time of being together. At first, I couldn't accept it, I was trained to kill the very thing she was.

"But I couldn't bring myself to kill her. I loved her too much. So I left the family business and started a life with your mother. We came to an agreement that on a full moon she would shift in the basement. Everything was fine for a while.

"A few years later, we got the news that your mother was pregnant with you. We were so scared about what would happen to you after every full moon. So every month, the day after the full moon, we would go for a scan to make sure everything was perfectly fine. But you were so healthy, thriving and becoming stronger after every shift.

"When you were born, I was so filled with love. I agreed with your mother that it would be a good idea for her to shift into her wolf outside on the full moons because we were so worried how her wolf would react to a baby inside the house. We even had the basement turned into a special chamber for her.