Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I envy people who have a normal life. All they have to do is wake up, go to work or school, come home and go to sleep; then repeat for the rest of their lives. To me, that sounds absolutely blissful.

Waking up, kissing my mother and father on the cheek before I leave for school, father going to work, coming home to find my mother in the kitchen cooking dinner. Sitting at the table, surrounded by books when my father comes in and kisses my head while I study for my next exam. Eating dinner together as a family while we discuss the events of today before settling down and relaxing before going up to bed and repeating the process the next day.

Routine.

I wished for normalcy. The whole town thought my mother was not right in the head, causing me to not have that normal fantasy while growing up. Instead of partying with friends, I was hiding away in my room wishing I could join in on the fun.

Other girls went shopping with their mothers, trying on dresses and sipping on lattes while being spoiled rotten like princesses. But for me? My father took me fishing and hunting. He raised a boy, not a girl. It was not until I received my first period did my father truly accept that he had a daughter, not a son.

I never went to a house party. I never went dress shopping. I have never been to the prom or any dances. I never went out to a club. I never went on study dates with friends or even a regular date for that matter. I have never sat in the cinema and watched a newly released movie while munching on overpriced popcorn.

Looking at Sam now, I saw all of those missed opportunities flash before my eyes like lightbulbs going off one by one. This was a new opportunity, a chance to finally decide what I should do next. This is could be the last time I ever get this offer, to be part of a family and feel that normalcy for once in my pathetic excuse for an existence.

A new family. A new life. A new me.

I wanted all of that. I needed it. The feeling of being a part of something, of feeling like you are wanted and needed by the people around you. To feel like nobody is holding you back, but rather has got your back and will push you to do things you thought you never could. That is what I wanted. I will not let this opportunity drive by me, smiling and waving like I used to do. I am going to jump in the car and wave to those who did miss this opportunity.

Sam dismissed me with a wave of his hand, ordering me to get the clothes I arrived in earlier today. Kicking off the heels, I grabbed them and raced up the stairs to Merida's room to search for my clothes.

Grabbing the simple black and grey clothing, I returned to Sam. He took them from me and we began walking out of the office. A few members of the pack came along with us as we entered the woods.

The darkness covered us like a thick blanket while the fog tickled between the trees and slithered its way along, attacking everything within its sight. The slight chill clung to my clothes, but due to the fog, became damp which invited even more of the cold to envelop me.

My chattering teeth filled the silence. If it were not for my new hearing capabilities, I would have assumed I was alone - but the steady beating of three other heart beats around me told me I was not alone.

That was when the fear combed his fingers through my hair, brushed his hands up and down my arms before plunging his deathly cold hand into my heart and spread his infection all over my body within a matter of seconds.

My pulse thrummed quickly in my ears as my blood raced through my body, trying to keep me warm when fear had prickled my whole body with ice. My breaths quickened as my eyes darted around, searching for anything that would leap out and attack.