Chapter One: The Beginning ✓

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER ONE: The Beginning

"Holy shit, is that―"

"Sage Connelly."

Everyone at Beacon Hills High School stopped in their place when they saw the blonde get out of the Camaro. People around town heard word about her being back, but no one bothered to believe any of them until now―not when rumors around their town spread life wildfire. Ironic, considering fire was the reason she left in the first place. Sage Connelly was an unsolved mystery to most of Beacon Hills, just like the notorious Hale family. She, along with the two surviving Hales, disappeared one day after the big house fire. News of what happened went around for an entire year, but by that time, Sage Connelly was gone. After losing her parents and older brother, she up and became a ghost to Beacon Hills.

Stiles Stilinski dropped his hands from Scott's side by that point, his attention drawn from the large bite on his best friend's hip to the girl. She walked towards the school with her head down, shoulders curled into herself as she kept her eyes on her phone in her hands. The last time he saw her was in fifth grade; he remembered that day clearly, just like he remembered the wide smile that was on her face as she cheered at her older brother, Luke's lacrosse game. That was the night before the Hale fire the next morning.

That girl used to wear pigtails with different color ribbons, and a new dress every day of the week. The girl in front of him was not the same one he remembered. She was wearing a black, leather jacket that Stiles faintly recognized from somewhere, and a grey tank top with jeans. All dark colors that stung his eyes because it looked so wrong on her. Any sense of familiarity was lost to him. He ignored the lump forming his throat, blinking away his surprise as she kept her eyes on the pathway.

Stiles wasn't the only one shocked by her reappearance. Along with everyone else in the parking lot, Scott McCall watched her and wondered why she was back after so long. Neither one of them ever thought that she would return, they hadn't even considered it, so to have the reminder of their past friendship come back and hit them in the face was startling. Sage had been as dead to Beacon Hills as the rest of her family, making it all the more uncomfortable for Scott and Stiles that she was right in front of them once again.

Feeling the stares crawling up her spine, Sage finally raised her head and searched through the crowds of people she had once known. Then, her green eyes settled on two faces too familiar for her stomach not to churn in nausea. She was sure her face contorted, too deep in thought at the sudden feeling that washed over her. Stiles Stilinski and Scott McCall, she remembered. Her old friends. Her best friends. A picture of them laid in a box somewhere, left over from the small project she had in her backpack the day of the fire.