17.

♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN; 17

        "Show him what he's missing." 

        Melissa moved away from her ear, going to give Scott a big hug. Sage was wearing the red dress that Lydia picked out. She imagined that there were going to be worse dresses than hers at the formal though, especially since half of the girls in the sophomore class were less than modest. Her normally wavy hair was fully curled, the hair that had grown out in the past few months was now just past her shoulders. Melissa had pulled a large majority of her hair on the left over to the right, and added a small braid. Sage just wished her parents could see her. Or even Derek for that matter. 

        Scott saw her face slowly dropping and quickly walked over, grabbing hold of her hand, giving a tight squeeze. She looked over at him and gave a small smile, shrugging away her thoughts. "Don't do anything stupid tonight. Okay, Sage?" 

        "Like what?" Sage asked. 

        The boy scoffed. "Anything you do on a regular basis." 

        Sage rolled her eyes, and grabbed a hold of his bicep to keep herself steady as she bent down to put on her heels. "I'm not that destructive, you know? But if anything does happen tonight, don't expect me to stay dancing." 

        "Sage—" 

        "No, Scott," Sage muttered, making sure to keep her voice down so Melissa didn't hear them. "If something ends up happening tonight, whether it be because of Peter or Kate, I'm not going to sit around waiting for someone to die. I've lost too many people and I'm not letting any of you get hurt tonight. Not Allison, not Jackson, not Lydia, not Stiles, not Derek, and not you. So just accept that and move on."

        "I was going to say you look beautiful," Scott reiterated. Sage gave him a irritated look, knowing that she was being conscious of tonight, before sighing and nodding, leaning forward to press a kiss on his cheek. It was a simple gesture to symbolize how much they had been through, everything that they experienced in the past few months. Melissa appeared from behind him a few seconds later with a camera in her hands. 

        "Let me be a mom," Melissa demanded, moving her finger so that they would stand next to each other. Sage smiled while Scott gave a groan, most likely experiencing this his whole life. It felt nice to do this, to have horrible pictures before a formal, and to have your mother curl your hair. She just wished that it was her mother, she just wanted more memories. "Okay, you two can go. Have fun, and stay safe." 

          They got to the school to see that it was infested with glitter and glowing lights. Sage curled her lips in disgust, already hating the idea of walking inside. Scott stopped beside her, a mirrored imagine of her face on his. Teenagers were walking inside of the gym, but all Sage could think about was how she almost died in this school and now she would be celebrating. Or dying again. 

        "I'll see you inside," Scott waved goodbye to her, jogging into the shadows, leaving her to stand alone in the parking lot. She took a deep breath before walking towards the gym, praying she didn't fall on her face. She didn't get very far considering a car almost hit her, stopping extremely close to her side. 

        "Hey asshole, watch where you're going!" Sage snarled, glaring at Jackson through the window. He didn't even bother looking at her, instead he downed a flask of alcohol. She clenched her jaw before looking in the passenger's seat to see that Allison was looking down at her lap. Deciding to be the bigger person, Sage walked over to her car door, motioning for her to roll down the window.