Chapter Two: Silver Linings ✓

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWO: Silver Linings

           Sage Connelly sat at the top of the bleachers, hands stuffed into her leather jacket as she watched the lacrosse players line up on the field. Derek told her to stay after school for the practice to spy on Scott McCall again, mostly due to the fact that he was: one, already nearing the brink of being a possible stalker, and, two, because he was no longer a teenager and it wasn't socially acceptable for him to just show up to their school and watch a sixteen-year-old boy. She didn't not want to go, but ignoring the constant looks from Stiles and Scott was already hard enough without showing up to their practice.

"One-on-one! Jackson, take a long stick today!" Coach shouted, the vein in his neck sticking out as he whipped his hands around. Jackson nodded without a protest, switching his lacrosse stick out for a longer one, running onto the field. "Atta boy!"

She couldn't help but smile while watching Coach run down the sideline, yelling at Greenberg every other second due to the long-lasted dislike everyone had for the boy. Coach rarely liked people, and when he did, he usually didn't show it. Sage remember Greenberg from second grade, back when he was in the fourth; he believed that dumping a puddle of glue into her hair would miraculously make her fall in love with him. It hadn't worked in his case, though, and he went home telling his mom that he got beat up by a seven-year-old girl with pigtails and pink ribbons in her hair. That was one of her prouder moments in life.

She blamed her aggressive side on Derek and Luke, only because she had never really been exposed to anything else. Every time they went over to the Hale house, she was always the one willing to play with the boys opposed to sitting and watching alongside Cora and Laura. Her mother hated it, especially when she would see her and notice all of the mud stains and scratches that were forming on her arms, but there was nothing she could say or do. Mallory knew that Luke would never allow his sister to get hurt, so she reluctantly let her daughter roughhouse with the boys.

Sage's train of thought returned back to her surroundings when she noticed that it was Scott's turn to make a break past Jackson, repetitively biting down on her lip as she slowly eased up from leaning on the back of the bleachers. She would be lying if she said she wasn't concerned for him. He seemed off ever since he showed up for school that morning, and she had an idea that it was because of what happened during the full moon.

After Derek came home fuming Friday night, he stormed into her room snarling about the hunters being back in town and how one of them almost got a hold of Scott. Argents. She had been wrong about Allison's family. Despite the horrible timing, Sage hesitantly revealed to him her own news that Stiles and Scott both believed he was the one who murdered Laura, just as they believed he was the alpha. Needless to say, Derek wasn't pleased to be an alleged killer and she spent the rest of her night cleaning up everything that he broke to pieces.