Spencer Carlin: The Accomplice

Spencer attempted to close her eyes and let sleep overcome her but she couldn't. Her brother was gone and there was no telling what he was out there doing.

She grunted and turned over, stuffing her face deep into her pillow letting out a scream. Of course she knew what he was doing. It was the same thing he'd been doing for over three months now. She punched her pillow and let out another shrill scream, this time because of the thing that was happening that she never expected.

This was supposed to be easy. She was supposed to make the brunette fall for her, keep her interested so she could know everything the police knew and keep her brother out of prison. Things were well beyond that now. She'd seen Ashley on the TV, in news conferences and police briefings but she never noticed just how beautiful the woman was. And on top of being beautiful she was funny, smart, charming and just all around amazing. So perfect. Everything Spencer had always wanted in a partner.

But she knew... once the brunette found out everything, once she knew her secret, things would be over between them. Spencer sighed and turned over to face the ceiling.

He was her brother, she told her parents that she would always protect them no matter what. How would her parents feel if they saw them now, Glen who or what he is and her protecting him?

19 years ago

"Don't do this Paula, this is our family. You can't just leave." Arthur tried to whisper but failing as he and Paula argued in the kitchen.

"I love her, Arthur I'm sorry. I don't know where these feelings came from. I don't know why they're here but I love her and I don't want to be the one to break up this family but I can't live the rest of my life knowing that I'm in love with someone else but I stayed with you for the sake of the family. I would hate you Arthur and I don't want to hate you."

"Where's mom going?" Glen turned and looked at his sister as they sat on the floor of the closet to watch their parent's marriage fall apart.

Spencer turned and looked at her brother, only younger than her by 27 minutes.

"She's leaving dad." Spencer says and looks down. At nine it wasn't hard to grasp what was happening here. Her mom had fallen in love with a woman she worked with and they wanted to be together no matter how much it hurt the family. "She's selfish." Spencer whispered, turning back to look at her parents.

"She can't go. Who's gonna make us lunch before school and dinner when we get home?"

Spencer shrugged, not turning her eyes away from her parents as the continued to argue animatedly.

"She's leaving." Is all Spencer said.

"Are you going to leave me?" Glen asked in a small voice.

Spencer turned to look at her brother, she couldn't get over how much younger than her he looked, how much more mature she was than him. She scrunched her brows, unsure of how to answer the question. She felt like if she answered incorrectly it could cause her brother to have an episode.

Her lack of response seemed to do just that. He stood up quickly and kicked the closet door open, startling his parents and Spencer.

"Everyone's leaving!" He shouted. "Everyone's leaving and I'm all alone. Glen isn't supposed to be left alone. No one is supposed to leave. Everyone has to stay. This isn't how it's supposed to be." He continued to yell. "Mom is going. Dad is going. Spencer is going. Everyone is going. No one is supposed to go. It's never a good time to go. Everyone must stay."