A New Game

August 6th 12:12 p.m.

Spencer stared at Ashley as she looked around the airport nervously. Kyla's plane landed twenty minutes ago and they'd been waiting for the arrivals to come up the escalator from the train that brought them from the terminals.

"Ashley, I'm sure she's fine. You don't need to be so worried." Spencer said and placed a comforting hand on Ashley's back and rubbed small circles.

"Why is he threatening her? She hasn't done anything. I don't care if he comes after me but he's attacking the people I love and I don't..." Ashley trailed off and turned to look at Spencer. "I can't protect everyone I love from this guy, and he's already taken Bryce from me and now he's coming after Kyla. And I just... what if he finds out about you Spencer. What if he finds out about you and comes after you next? I can't even..." Ashley shook her head.

Spencer stared at her trying to hide the shock she was feeling. Ashley had just mentioned protecting the people she loved and then immediately said she wanted to protect Spencer, so did that mean she loved Spencer?

"Ashley." A voice pulled them from their staring match.

"Kyla." Ashley sighed relief and rushed over to her sister, pulling her into a hug.

Kyla chuckled. "Not that I'm not happy to see you or anything, but I thought I told you I'd catch an Uber. You didn't have to."

"I did." Ashley nodded quickly and grabbed Kyla's suitcase from her hand to carry. "I'll explain on the way."

Kyla knew better than to ask questions. She nodded and headed back towards Spencer with Ashley.

"You must be Spencer." Kyla smiled as Spencer nodded and tried to hide her shy smile. She'd never met a family member of a girl she really liked before. This was a first for her. "Good job, sis." Kyla leaned over and whispered to Ashley before shoulder bumping her. Ashley could only laugh and shake her head at her sister.

"It's nice to meet you Kyla." Spencer held out her hand for Kyla to shake.

Kyla looked at Ashley. "Is she serious with that?" She asked gesturing towards Spencer's hand. Ashley shrugged. "Come here." Kyla pulled Spencer into a hug. "You make my sister really happy Spencer, thank you. She hasn't stopped talking about you for weeks now." Kyla whispered as she hugged Spencer. "But as her sister, I'm obligated to say that if you hurt her, I'll have to hurt you." Kyla added then pulled back from the hug with a bright smile on her face.

Spencer was doing her best to keep a straight face. The guilt was starting to really eat at her.

"Are we ready to go?" Ashley asked lifting the handle on Kyla's suitcase to roll it.

"No, I've actually got two bags I have to get from bag check."

"Two?" Ashley asked with wide eyes. "Kyla why do you need three suitcases? How long are you staying for?"

"Later?" Kyla offered, getting a worried look from Ashley. She could tell something was going on with Kyla she just wasn't quite sure what it was yet.

"Okay." Ashley nodded. Kyla turned and headed towards baggage claim.

"So that's your sister huh?" Spencer turned her head slightly to look at Ashley as they intertwined their fingers.

"She's something else isn't she?" Ashley smiled.

"Mhm." Spencer nodded. "I like her though." Spencer added after a moment. Ashley turned to look at her with the brightest nose crinkling smile.

"Good. I'm really happy to hear that." They stared at each other momentarily, both grinning like idiots. "We should probably go help her. There's no telling how much those bags weigh she's grabbing." Spencer could only nod as Ashley pulled her towards baggage claim.