Our Past, His Present, Your Future

This chapter contains mature content. 

--------------------------

Spencer could remember vividly the first time she'd realized that her twin brother was different. They were sitting at the top of the slide about to go down when a little boy, 6, named Tommy came up the stairs behind them and kicked Glen in the back. Tommy had kicked so hard that both Glen and Spencer went flying sideways down and off the slide.

Spencer cried as she hit the hard turf, but Glen, Glen stood up, wiped off his clothes, turned and climbed right back up the slide they'd been pushed down, up to Tommy who was just giggling away at what he'd done.

"Why'd you do that?" Spencer heard Glen say as she continued to cry. Her mom completely consumed with her phone, oblivious to what was happening. Later on, she'd know why her mom was so into her phone.

"It was just a joke, Glen. No need to get all pissy about it." Tommy said as he and his friends that had come up behind him laughed.

Glen wasn't a particularly big six-year-old. By averages he was technically kind of little for his age, his growth spurt not happening until his late teens. But just because he wasn't big doesn't mean he didn't feel as if he was.

Glen turned and looked down at his sister as she sat up to get a better look at the cut on her knee. He noticed blood dripping from it. He snarled as he turned back to look at the taller boy in front of him.

"You hurt my sister." He said with narrowed eyes.

Tommy shrugged and sat down at the top of the slide. Readying himself to go down it. "She'll be okay, don't be such a baby. Move, I'm going down."

Glen's eye twitched as he stared at Tommy with more anger than a six-year-old should possess.

Spencer saw a side of her brother that day that could never be unseen.

Glen mounted Tommy and started hitting him so hard that she could physically hear as each punch landed. Even when Tommy was bleeding profusely and clearly unconscious, Glen continued to hit him. Paula, who was laughing at something on her phone finally looked up to see Glen being pulled off of Tommy by one of the other parents.

"What is going on here?" Paula asked as she reached the circle that had now surrounded the kids.

"Your son is crazy!" Tommy's mom shouted.

"He pushed me and Spencer down the slide," Glen said stoically. Spencer stared at her brother as he wiped the blood from his hands. And then suddenly he changed, Glen's face switched and it was like he was a different person. His features were that of a six-year-old again. "Spence is hurt, mommy." He said in a sing-song voice. "Tommy pushed us down the slide. Nobody hurts my sister." Glen shook his head with a pout and sad eyes.

Paula stared at her son for a moment then looked over to her daughter, who was wiping away the tears and finally standing up from the dirt.

"Maybe you should pay better attention to your son, it seems he's the one that started all this." Paula said, matter-of-factly. She grabbed up her children and started pulling them towards the car.

"Are you okay Spencer?" Glen asked her as Paula continued to pull them to the car. Spencer could only nod. She didn't know what to say to her brother. Truth be told, he scared Spencer so much that day. "I won't let anyone hurt you." He added with a half-smile. "Not ever."

-----------------

"We need to talk about your brother."

Ashley's words rang in Spencer's ears. This was it, the moment Spencer had been dreading. This is why she tried to distance herself from the brunette. To avoid the eventual heartbreak... well, the heartbreak and prison.