What Are You Doing?

August 4th 9:02am

"Davies what's going on, you've been staring at that same page in that file for over two hours." Avery said as he leaned into Ashley's office. He'd come to ask her a question not too long ago about the case and noticed that she was off but didn't press it. Now he could clearly tell something was going on.

"Oh." Ashley shook her head and closed the file. It was one of seven new ones in the past three weeks. The CFK was getting worse. He was killing more frequently and more horrifically. "This case has me-"

"Who do you think you're talking to here Davies? I know you, this has nothing to do with the case so try again." He said coming into her office and taking a seat on the other side of her desk.

Ashley took a deep breath. "The girl I was seeing..." she shook her head, she didn't even know how to explain it. "We were hanging out for a week and things were going great like really freaking great Avery and now..."

"Now, what?" He pressed. Ashley didn't want to talk about it. "And don't tell me that you don't wanna talk about it because I'm like your only friend with how much you work so I know you've got no one else to talk to."

"You sound like a girl." She said petulantly. He just stared at her, unwavering. "Ugh! Fine. The girl I was seeing hasn't returned my phone calls or texts in three weeks."

"Did something happen?" Ashley glanced up at him. "Like something to make her ghost you?"

"No." She shook her head. "That's the thing, the last time we saw each other she was making me breakfast and dancing with me and then kissing me goodnight. It was amazing actually." Ashley just couldn't understand what she'd done wrong.

"Davies." Avery called to her, making her look at him. "I know that look."

"What look?" Ashley feigned ignorance.

Avery smacked his teeth and pursed his lips, tilting his head to the side in a 'come on now' kinda way. "Davies." Was all he said.

"I like her Avery, yes! Is that what you wanted to hear? I liked her." Ashley shrugged and looked back down at the case filed on her desk. "Can we talk about something more work appropriate?" Ashley glanced back up at him.

"Fine." Avery dragged the word out as he held up his hands in defense. "Where are we with the last victim Monica?"

"Same MO: she used the dating service in the past and also had a girlfriend." Ashley said moving the file she was looking at to the side and grabbing a different one from underneath it. "A witness said they think they saw a guy coming out of the victim's apartment building but they can't be sure. He could have lived in the building but we've been canvassing the entire block for footage from any kind of security camera and no luck so far. All she said was he was white, blonde hair and dark clothes. She basically described every twenty-something year old in Atlanta. I'm thinking of heading over to speak with her again, maybe taking Jack to attempt to put together a sketch."

"Yeah." Avery nodded. "Sounds good. And while you're at it, why don't you pay Spencer a visit at her place?"

"How did you know her name, I never said!" Ashley stared up at her colleague confused. He smiled and nodded his head in the direction of the papers on her desk.

Ashley hadn't even noticed that she had been doodling Spencer's name all morning. It was written on a few sheets of paper at least thirty times. "I didn't-"

"I'm sure you didn't, Davies. But clearly you really like this girl and what have I told you before?" He stared at her expectantly.

"Don't let a case control my life or else I'll never have one." Ashley said blandly.