The Calm Before the Storm

Friday, July 14th 8:48 am

The ringing her doorbell pulled Ashley from her sleep. It was the first time she'd been able to actually get some in months. Ever since she's been on the CFK case.

She groaned and rolled over to grab her phone off the nightstand. Completely ignoring the perfectly good alarm clock and read the time. 8:48 am.

Who could be ringing her doorbell at nine in the freaking morning, she wondered.

She rolled off her bed and landed on the floor roughly. She guessed her legs hadn't woken up yet. After a moment and several more rings of her doorbell, she pulled herself up from the floor and made her way towards the front door.

The doorbell was still ringing.

"I'm coming!" Ashley shouted harshly to whomever it was at her door.

She lifted up on her tiptoes to look through the peephole.

"Spencer?" She whispered confused. She unlocked her door quickly to see a smiling Spencer with four bags of groceries. "Um..."

"I know it's early and I'm sorry that I woke you but I felt like it had been forever since I saw you and I really wanted to see you and I know that we were gonna go out for brunch but I thought that I could just cook for you because I'm a really good cook it's one of the few things that my mom actually taught me before she took off..." Spencer finally paused and looked at Ashley's half confused half concerned face and her confession. She'd forgotten that she hadn't talked to Ashley about that yet. "I come bearing gifts." Spencer smiled and lifted the groceries in her hands.

Ashley smiled at the woman's rambling. "Not that I'm not very happy to see you but brunch usually starts around you know... when breakfast and ending and lunch is beginning."

Spencer ducked her head and transferred the two bags of groceries that were in her right hand over to her left. She brought her hand up to the back of her neck and rubbed it nervously.

"Did you want me to go?" She asked quietly.

"Oh, God no." Ashley answered quickly, shaking her head. "Here, give me these." She took the bags from Spencer and turned to head towards the kitchen. "Spencer, your cute butt better be following me!" Ashley yelled back over her shoulder.

Spencer hurried into the Loft, closing the door behind her. "I'm really sorry I woke you. I don't know why I assumed that this would be okay I just wanted to-"

"Spencer," Ashley cut her off, walking over to her. "I'm ecstatic that you're here, truly." She nodded and gave the blonde an assuring smile. "I'm gonna go freshen up. I had a long day yesterday. Kitchens there." She pointed and then shook her head at herself. "Clearly you can see that. Pots and pans are in the cabinets next to the dishwasher. Glasses and plates are opposite the stove. Silverware is below them. Will you be okay for half an hour while I showered and got dressed?"

Spencer nodded. "Ashley." She called as the brunette turned to walk away.

"Hmm?" The brunette turned around to look at her.

"I'm really sorry I was outside your door like a stalker yet again." Spencer chuckled and shook her head at herself.

"I think your stalking is quite adorable. Now go cook me some food woman, my stomach is on empty. Maybe when I get out of the shower I can tell you about how flirty your brother was with me yesterday and how he called me last night!" Ashley chuckled at the boy's tenacity.

Glen was literally the last thing that Spencer wanted to talk about. He was the main reason her life was such a train wreck. She wanted just one day where she didn't have to think about him or his habits at all.