The Cost of Love

"I've done what you asked, where is my family?" The man asked Glen in a panic. Glen only smirked. "Please!" The man begged.

"I don't think I'm done with you yet Gary. I may just have to hold on to your wife and kids just a little bit longer."

"No!" Gary shrieked. They both looked around the parking garage to make sure no one was looking at them after Gary's outburst.

"Yell like that again and I'll slit your daughters' throat the next time I see her." Glen stated calmly.

"Why are you doing this, why me?"

"You're a creature of habit Gary. I watched you for an entire week do the same routine with your family. I knew your every move before you made it. It was easy, that's why."

"Please, I'll do anything you ask. My family doesn't have to be apart of this." The short balding man took off his glasses and wiped his sweaty brow.

"You're a little nervous nelly aren't you? I hope you didn't sweat all over that apartment or you'll have bigger worries than me holding your family."

"I was careful." The man nodded quickly. "Did everything the way you asked."

"Good." Glen smiled and patted Gary on the shoulder. "This will all be over soon. But I can't let your family go Gary. What's to keep you from going to the cops after I do? You've seen my face now..."

"Please." Gary said.

"Go Gary." Glen pointed in a general direction. "I'm losing interest in this little rendezvous. I'll text you a time and place when you can pick up your family. Until then, don't try to contact me." Glen pulled out the burner phone he'd purchased only two days ago and threw it on the ground smashing it with his foot.

Gary stared at Glen desperately. He just wanted his family back. He had just committed an unspeakable act for him, and still it wasn't enough. Gary whimpered and scurried off as Glen's stare hardened. A smirk appeared on his lips after the man had disappeared out of view. Glen knew that with the man's family tucked away somewhere he'd be able to get him to do whatever he wanted.

And he'd need him again real soon...

-------------

Ashley gripped her steering wheel tighter as she inhaled deeply. She knew that she would have to ask Spencer about the picture right away. There would be no holding off on this. This was the second crime scene that Spencer had been connected to somehow. Something was going on and she needed to figure out what that something was.

The ringing of her phone brought her back to her car.

"Davies." She answered.

"It's Avery. Look Davies, I know that the picture has you reeling right now, but I'm giving you permission to hold off on interviewing Spencer. Let's regroup tomorrow and discuss how to proceed with the case okay?"

"Could I actually have the day off tomorrow Avery? I'm gonna talk to Spencer. I don't want to bring her down to the station again Ave. Can I just talk to her and see what all this means first?"

Avery sighed before replying. He knew the answer should have been no because that wasn't how things worked, but he understood where Ashley was coming from, having already questioned Spencer once and her being cleared of that crime scene.

"Okay Davies, but if she gives you any useful information you better..."

"I will." Ashley replied quickly cutting him off.