the third day;

THE THIRD DAY;

IVY HADN'T SHUT up about me accepting Nero's proposal since I had told her. She would text me randomly, usually beginning in the words fucking hell and ending with you're going on a date.

Today is no exception.

As we sit in the canteen, Luke and Ivy on the opposite side of the table from me, I watch as Ivy's mouth opens and closes as she spurts her excitement. "You're going on a date with Nero!"

I hush her instantly, pressing a finger to my mouth whilst surveying everyone who stands around me. If Kathleen was to catch wind of this, I'd be a dead woman before I ever got to come to terms with the fact I'm going on a date with Nero.

"I don't think China quite heard you," I snap, watching as Luke narrows his eyebrows at me before biting into one of his crisps. Sighing, I notice the downtrodden and disheartened look that spreads across Ivy's lips. "It's not that big of a deal."

"But it is," Luke shrugs, wrapping an arm around Ivy's shoulder and pressing a chaste kiss to her temple. "Nero doesn't date... I should know, he's the football captain and I've never heard him say a girls name that he was considering dating."

I unscrew my bottle of sparkling water, and swallow down quickly to wet my drying throat that has turned to sandpaper.

"Luke's right," Ivy shrugs, but I think her opinion is bias because she's always going to agree with her boyfriend. It's what girlfriends do. "Nero hasn't dated. This makes you special."

I feel far from it.

➖➖➖

AS I WALK into my psychology class, I don't notice the classroom clutter first like I usually do. Instead, I notice Nero, who sits up straight when he sees me walking in, and pats the empty chair next to him.

Sit beside me, he mouths.

Fuck off, I mouth back.

His face sours at my harsh rebuttal, but I walk straight by him and sit in my usual seat beside Luke, who's looking between Nero and I frantically.

Nero swivels around when we both sit down, and even though I'm not looking at him I know he's looking at me. The burn his stare leaves is a giveaway.

"Psst... psst..." I tense in my seat, hoping that Nero will go away and leave me alone. But my hopes fizzle out, when he shouts my name. "Fawn!" He yells loudly, making me jump in my chair.

"I think he wants to talk to you," Luke quips, making me shoot him a scathing look. He leans back in his chair, his hands in the surrender position, but the smirk on his mouth tells me he doesn't mean it at all. "What?"

I shake my head, turning back to face Nero who's smiling widely. "You look lovely today, Fawn."

I blush beet red, slinking down in my chair as Luke try's to cover his laughter with a cough. The whole class is staring at us now, and I see each of my classmates analysing our exchange.

Clearing my throat, I politely reply, "thank you," knowing that I fully well look far from lovely. I'm wearing a navy roll neck, and a flowery pinafore over the top. It's everyday office wear.