the eighteenth day; [2]

THE EIGHTEENTH DAY
» PART [2]

AS SOON AS I see him, he's gone, but I can't help feel the bubbling hysteria climb up my throat because I saw him. I saw those striking grey eyes and his stupid curly blond hair. He was here. Right in front of me.

A hand settles on my shoulder, and I flinch before sharply turning around to face Nero. The relief I feel upon seen him is greater than I imagined, my heart slowing and my hands unclenching. They're so clammy. Embarrassed, I hurriedly wipe them against my thighs.

Nero's brow is wrinkled, and he steps closer to put a hand around my waist; anchoring me to him in this angry ocean of emotions I'm in. "What's wrong?"

I breathe in and out, feeling the cold water bottle against my stomach which isn't as shocking as it should have been. Matter of fact, it reminds me that I'm here, and that Nero's here.

Giving him a faux smile, I shake my head and accept the bottle from him. "Nothing. I was just deep in thought... thanks for the water," I grin, watching as his eyes scan my face for any giveaway sign that I'm lying.

He shakes his head. "Tell me if anything's bothering you, okay?" Nero's serious for a split second, but thankfully a blonde bombshell in a lacy red dress saunters our way with a Cheshire Cat grin on her red stained lips, and the interrogation to my strange mood, ends there.

I never thought I'd be happy to see Kathleen Stratford, yet here I am, thanking her silently as she clicks those six inch death traps our way.

"Well if it isn't my two favourite boys," she grins at Nero and Forrest, who smile back and give her a boyish head nod. Her eyes then fall down onto me; her top lip twitching with indignation. "Never thought I'd ever see Fawn Knox partying again."

I shrug, sipping slowly on my water as I curl into Nero's side. He offers protection, and even though I'm thankful of her presence, Kathleen's claws will cut me one day.

"You look good, Kathleen" I chime honestly, watching as her eyes light up. Kathleen might not like me, but compliments are her favourite thing after diamonds and pearls.

Giving a twirl for emphasis on her stunning dress, which comes to the middle of her thigh and hugs her in every place that's flattering, she gives me an almost genuine smile. Her hair is hung in a low chignon at the nape of her neck, whilst small diamonds adorn her elegant neck.

"Dad brought it for me," she laughs softly, showing me those teeth of hers. I give hers tight lipped smile, running my tongue over my own teeth to remove any of my nude lipstick from them, incase it has smudged.

Forrest senses the animosity and tension, clearing his throat and sipping at his own Fiji water as he says, "you've really outdone yourself, Kathleen... it's a great party."

Nero nods in agreement, however I stay stoic. The boy that's more sinful than the devil is here, and I have an inkling that Kathleen invited him. Maybe she knew I was going to be here. Maybe she wanted revenge.

I'm so engrossed in my brooding, that I haven't noticed the way the three of them are laughing and joking as if I wasn't here.

"Can you show me to the bathroom?" Interrupting their conversation, Kathleen gives me an irritated smile before she jabs a thumb over her shoulder. "No, Kathleen, can you take me there?"