the fifth day; [2]

THE FIFTH DAY
» PART [2]

ITS FIVE TO six, and as I sit in my living room alongside my family, I can't help but feel as if this is entirely a mistake. The words I'm not ready play in my head like a broken record, and I'm clutching my stomach with anxious anticipation of what is to come.

Ivy left not long ago, not before telling me to text her the details and spraying my face with setting spray for the second time.

So now it's just myself, my family, and the ticking of our wall clock that is the only thing to fill in the silence. Not even the TV plays, as dad strokes Russel's head who is sitting beside him like the obedient guard dog that he is.

Blake and mum are sitting either side of dad, and suddenly I feel as if I'm in front of a jury, waiting for the final result; because I feel guilty. I promised my dad to never put him through this again, and no less than a year later, here we are.

"If he hurts you," there's a dangerous glint to my dads eyes as he comments that, causing mum to shoot him a scathing look. Her usually unruly hair is tied back into a thick plait, which hangs down her back to her tailbone. "I'll shoot him."

"Sam," mum warns instantly, her own eyes adopting the dangerous sparkle which my father owns. He doesn't give her attention. Instead, he makes sure his eyes bore into my soul.

I swallow, trying to wet my quickly drying throat. "It's just one date," my voice is as shaky as my knees. Mum senses this, giving me a sweet and reassuring smile. "It'll be over before you realise."

Dad ignored me this time, which makes my stomach clench with nerves. His jaw is set firm, and his dark black hair is as ominous as he looks. Dad isn't a stern man; my parents aren't stern parents... but dad can be one of the harshest people I've ever known when he doesn't like the feel of something.

"He knows not to upset Fawn," Blake tells dad firmly, leaning back in his chair with his arms folded neatly against his chest. He's got a smug grin across his mouth. "I warned him to not upset her when he came to work the other day."

"Thanks for that," I snort, gaining his attention.

"You're welcome," he grins back.

I'm about to answer again, but my phone pings from beside me and I know without looking at it that it's Nero. "He's here," I rise to my knees and find them as jelly like as I expected them to be.

"He isn't coming to the door?" Dad asks, a raised eyebrow as he rises to his feet. "What a fucking pussy —" his words are cut off when three short knocks sound agains our front door.

I shoot him a look, making him raise his hands and say, "well I stand corrected." He rises to his feet now, mum and Blake following suit as we all walk to the door. Dad, of course, the one in front.

The small hallway seems smaller with four large humans and a Great Dane in it at the same time, all fighting to get to the front door. I can hear mum mumbling something to my dad, who scoffs before ripping the door open quickly.

Nero stands proudly the other side, a smile on his mouth which makes me smile too; slight relief flooding my system. He's wearing a pair of black jeans and a maroon knitted jumper, with a pair of vans on his feet.