the twentieth day; [1]

THE TWENTIETH DAY;
» PART [1]

MONDAY MORNINGS ARE a drag. Waking up is a task itself, yet alone being able to pull myself out of the house and rushing to make it on time to school. I haven't ever received a late mark in my life, and Monday mornings won't make me have my first.

But Monday's are enough of a drag, without the whole of year thirteen looking at me like I have the head of Medusa, as I walk down the hallway attached to Nero's side.

His arm is wrapped around my shoulder, leading me to my locker where I can swap my books around. He's grinning at me, unfazed by the stares we're getting, unlike me.

I'm an anxious mess, who's shaking in her boots as I fumble for my padlock combination. Nero frowns, bumping his shoulder against mine before asking for the four number code.

"One, nine, seven, five," I mumble under my breath, watching as he gives me a quizzical look before opening the locker. "They're my favourite band, don't judge me," giggling, I place my philosophy book in my bag, and grab my psychology one.

Nero grins, shutting the locker before grasping my waist and pulling me closer to him. "I'll never judge you, babe. Can I get a hug now?"

I roll my eyes, throwing my arms around his neck and pulling him to me in a chaste hug which is warm and comforting. His lips are against the shell of my ear, and they brush against my cartilage as he whispers, "ignore the stares, baby."

I feel content enough in his arms, that I do ignore the stares. Matter of fact, I don't even acknowledge the loud mutters. I just cling onto Nero, who's brushing at my hair and holding me just as hard.

"If it isn't couple of the year."

I glance at Ivy over my shoulder, noticing Luke who trails behind her with a shrug to his shoulders. I giggle slightly, watching as she places a hand on her hip and assesses the position Nero and I are in.

"Hi, Ivy," I roll my eyes, leaning away from Nero slightly. His arms don't stray away from me however, they hold on loosely around my waist. It's a good feeling, actually.

She looks between Nero and I, a smirk on her lips as she gives us another quick surveying look. "Does your dad know about this, Doe?" She asks me, and I blanch for a second, because dad doesn't know.

Nero freezes too, making me undeniably wince. "No, dad doesn't know," I mutter softly, glancing up towards Nero who's giving a tight lipped smile.

Luke snorts from behind Ivy, making me shoot him a chiding look. "I'm sorry," he holds his hands in surrender, and takes a step back. "But, Sam's going to kill you, Nero."

"Luke," Ivy and I snap at the same time.

"Wait, is he serious?" Nero asks worried.

"Of course not," I scoff unsurely.

It's this moment that Forrest rushes up to us, a grin on his face as he leans on the locker beside Nero. His grin is wide, but it falters slightly as he takes notice of Nero's arms around my waist.

"Hey," I say to him, watching as his eyes snap up to mine, and the grin turns into something tenfold tighter than I expected. Narrowing my eyes, I ask him, "you okay?" Because he certainly doesn't seem it.