the twenty-fifth day;

THE TWENTY—FIFTH DAY

NERO'S CAR BRINGS me some type of comfort. It's not a pretty car, and actually looks as if it's going to break down at any second, but it's always warm.

I don't know where he's driving me, only that he told me he wanted to take me out and just sit with me for a while. "I've missed alone time with you," he had said.

His hand comes over the gearstick as he holds mine, and I can't help but smile as I lean my head against the window. "I'm not taking you to any five star restaurant, by the way."

We both laugh together, and I give his hand a squeeze before facing him. He's grinning widely, the pearly white teeth of his flashing in the night. The roads are pretty lonely too, but I don't feel alone with Nero.

"I don't care if it's a five—star restaurant, or a Burger King," I begin, curling my legs onto his seat tiredly. I'm so tired. It's late, but I'd happily pull an all nighter with Nero. "As long as I'm with you, I'm happy."

His grin widens if possible, making me laugh the tiniest bit. "Baby, I can't take you to Burger King, but..." he trails off, dipping his head slightly as he glances ahead of him. "I hope you like McDonald's."

I look at the McDonald's drive through, something next to laughter bubbling up inside me. "Please don't think I'm cheap, but I couldn't get reservations anywhere," Nero's laughing too, bringing my hand to his mouth and pressing the most chaste of kisses against the back of it.

"Are you kidding? I get twenty chicken nuggets for five pounds, this is probably the best date," I joke back, squeezing his fingers before he lets go of my hand.

"You're something else, you know that?" He smiles, looking straight at me with that lopsided, adorable look on his face. He's too sweet, I'm afraid I'll catch cavities or something. "Fawn Knox, if you eat those twenty nuggets and won't share, I'll cry."

I snort, cocking an eyebrow at him and tilting my head. "I could eat a box of fifty nuggets from McDonald's."

Nero looks at me in disbelief. "It's a share box."

I laugh sarcastically. "Who actually shares them?"

He rolls his eyes. "Looks like I'll be crying."

Fifteen minutes later, him and I are in the car park of McDonald's with our meals. I did get my twenty nuggets, as well as some medium fries and a large Diet Coke, whereas Nero got a spicy chicken legend meal.

Holding the burger to his face he says, "one legend for another," before taking a deep bite out of the two buns.

"That joke nearly puts me off of my nuggets," shaking my head, I rip the lid off of the barbecue sauce, and dip one of my nuggets into it. Nero gives me a look. "Nearly, is the key word, love—bug."

"Stop calling me that," he jabs a finger into my side, making me yelp and squirm before I giggle slightly. Nero's eyebrows wiggle, as he takes note of my ticklish spot. "Ticklish?"

"Go to hell," I reply, leaning over to the back seats where a tartan blanket lays. Grabbing it, I place the nuggets on the dashboard before wrapping myself up like a burrito. "I'm so cold."