the ninth day;

THE NINTH DAY;

THURSDAY AFTERNOONS MEAN Apple Jack's with Ivy and Luke. Thursdays, mean that I have to brace myself to see two teenagers making out in the backseat of my cornflower blue fiat 500 — called Fiona, — whenever I look in my rearview mirror.

Thursdays mean my two best friends and I, surrounding a small booth as we talk crap about school work and people in our classes (which we shouldn't do, but still do, because who doesn't).

Thursdays do not mean Nero and Forrest can crash our meal, like they have been doing every lunch since Monday. Somehow, they have managed to worm their way into the small clique that is Ivy, Luke and I, and now it's not just Ivy, Luke and I.

It's now Ivy, Luke, Nero, Forrest and I.

I didn't react at first when Ivy invited Nero and Forrest, because there was evident excitement in both teenage boys faces. However when we were alone, I didn't wait to tell her my thoughts.

This was a breach in the I.L.F. code — Ivy, Luke, Fawn Code. The code clearly stated that every Thursday I would drive the three of us to Apple Jack's after school, and they wouldn't make out in the back of Fiona.

The code also clearly stated that nobody (apart from Blake), was allowed to gatecrash. With all three of us having jobs, and Luke and Ivy in a serious relationship that was the epitome of puppy—love, we barely had time for each other.

So Thursday's were for us.

And now, as I switch of the engine to Fiona, who's purring comes to a stop, I can't help but feel as if Nero is worming his way into my life and my heart more forcefully than I expected him to.

I'm not fighting against it anymore either. I'm finding myself to enjoy his company, far more than I thought I would. Nero knew the right things to do, and he knew when it was right to hold my hand or tell me 'you look prettier than usual today, babe.'

So I guess I could let him and Forrest gatecrash quality I.L.F time.

We jump out if Fiona, me locking her behind me. I press the lock button on my car keys more than once, because I'm constantly paranoid that someone is going to take Fiona from me.

She's the only thing — besides Russel, and my family, — I have ever loved that hasn't let me down, or broken my heart, and so I'm afraid something catastrophic like kidnap is going to happen to her.

"Do you come here every Thursday?" Forrest asks, his question not directed at anyone in particular. I don't answer, waiting for Luke or Ivy to do so. There far more talkative than I am.

Noticing my lack of enthusiasm to answer, Luke nods his head before looking back at Forrest. "Yeah, we don't have a lot of time for each other because of work, so Thursday's are our day."

Nodding, Forrest runs a hand through his hair as we silently walk to Apple Jack's. He looks as if he wants to say more; but seems as if he doesn't want to pry. A part of me respects him for that.

We make it into Apple Jack's wrapped in a blanket of silence, and I don't miss the shocked look that Pink gives us as we enter the diner with two extra friends. And I certainly don't miss the sheer surprise that flickers in her eyes, as she looks at Nero. Clear, blatant recognition is there.