Chapter 11

I didn't think I'd ever see a hot shower again. Yet as I stood here in the changing room, the steam fogging up the windows and mirror I smiled to myself.

The little things in life were usually the ones we didn't appreciate, but missed once they were gone.

I knew I couldn't stay in here too long though. I washed my hair, body and shaved all the necessities before I reluctantly turned off the tap.

While Marion was still on bed rest, Evan and I had searched a small section of the town and found a leisure centre which had its own hot water supply. Straight away we'd grabbed our stuff from the house and headed to the showers. He in the men's section and I in the girl's, obviously.

My new outfit consisted of cargo camouflage trousers which had lots of pockets. I'd paired them with black Rocket Dog boots, a black sports bra and matching undies with a black turtle neck jumper and a dark green gilet with a furry hood.

A knock sounded on the main door to the changing rooms. I stopped drying my hair and grabbed one of my pistols.

"Chey? You almost done?" Evan asked from the other side and I relaxed.

"I'll be out in a min." I told him and packed my things away. I left my black hair loose so it would dry naturally. I opened the door to see Evan leaning against the wall, looking flawless as always.

His hair was slightly darker due to the dampness but it was drying quickly. He'd also neatened up his stubble as it wasn't as long but still there. He was wearing a long sleeve navy t shirt with a brown nubuck type material coat on top. Dark blue jeans and brown boots on his feet.

"What a relief! I actually smell like a human now and not like one of those." I giggled. Evan smiled and followed me out of the building.

"How about we go exploring a bit more? I'll see if any of these cars work and we can drive through the town?" Evan suggested. I agreed and we started looking around for a working vehicle.

I'd left Sol back at the house, Evan and I decided it would be easier if we went searching on foot. While Sol was fast and reliable she wasn't silent, while for walkers that was alright because we could outrun them but humans could outsmart us if they heard us coming.

Evan checked the cars while I stayed on look out, frankly I didn't know how to tell if a car was working or not.

"This ones got some juice left." Evan came around a black pick up. It had seen better days but it'd do us.

The car started and I jumped in the passenger side. Evan drove for a few minutes until we stopped outside a food store.

"This place looks deserted." I took in the surroundings. Cue tumbleweed to drift across the screen.

"I know but we can never be too careful. You know the formation." I nodded and got on Evan's left as we entered to store. We split down either side and checked the area. A few walkers were chilling which we took out silently before we scoured the place for food. We hardly got anything but it was a start. We got back into the car and continued up the road.

We passed a tattoo parlour which mildly sparked my interest. I'd always wanted a tattoo but I wasn't old enough yet.

"See something you like?" Evan asked. He had noticed me perk up for a second as we passed the place.

"I just saw a tattoo parlour and I've always wanted a tattoo." I sighed and looked at him. He pulled the car to a stop and jumped out. He came round to my side and opened the door, I was too confused to notice what was happening.

"What are you doing?" I looked at him as he stood grinning with his hand outstretched towards me.

"Getting your tattoo. Consider it, a date." I took his hand, that familiar warmth spreading throughout my body.