Chapter 14

The man had told Evan where the main 'base' was. It was a warehouse a few miles from here, about a 3 hour walk.

"So what else did he say?" I asked Evan as we started walking towards the warehouse.

"That they are bad people and he only realised that as he was dying." He shifted uncomfortably.

"And?" I felt like there was a lot he wasn't telling me.

"And they get rewarded for delivering 'soldiers'." He used air quotes.

"That girl didn't look like a soldier. She was skinnier than a streak of bacon." I thought back to the poor girl who had no chance in standing up against those men dragging her along, there was no muscle to her at all.

"Look Chey, I really think you shouldn't come along. We don't know what we're dealing with here and I couldn't bear it if they hurt you." Evan stopped and looked at me. I could see the pain and uncertainty in his eyes. He was really worried.

"And I'm not leaving you. We're a damn good team and if these guys deserve to be killed, I can do that. The way I see it, its us or them, and I rather it be them." I argued back. I had no idea where this anger was coming from, but I was passionate to protect Evan, he meant more than he knew.

"What are you talking about Chey, you're not a murderer." Evan grabbed my arm, pulling me to face him. His body had tensed again, something that happened when he was angry or unsure; his own defence mechanism.

"No I'm not, but I will protect myself and you, that's all I'm saying." He looked down at me, still unsure on my answer.

"So you wouldn't kill someone to protect me?" I asked when he didn't answer me.

"I..."

"But you had no issue when I sliced Peter up did you?" I crossed my arms and sternly looked at him.

"No, and I'm glad you did that. And yes, I would kill for you, if that's what I had to do to protect you Chey. As I've said before, you're all I've got left, and I don't want to lose you." He uncrossed my arms and pulled me forward. I sighed and embraced the hug. I couldn't stay mad at him.

"I'm sorry, I know, but you're not leaving me behind." I looked up and kissed his chin.

"You're too feisty for your own good. I love it." He smiled and agreed I could tag along.

Dusk was soon approaching, we decided checking out the warehouse at night would be a good idea.

I untacked Sol and left her to roam, leaving her saddle and bridle under a big oak tree, at least the leather would be protected from the rain this way.

My heart lurched in my chest at a certain thought, that I may never see her again for whatever reason. I shook my head, we'd always reunite.

"Bye princess." I kissed her soft muzzle goodbye. She nickered before trotting off into the trees.

"You ok?" Evan's hand found its way to my lower back as I watched Sol go.

His touch sent tingles up my spine, I always felt safe with him near, no matter how many close calls we encountered.

"Yeah, let's do this."

---

As far as we could tell there was one man standing outside on guard duty. He had a flashlight and occasionally scanned the area.

"So I can throw a rock over in the distance and hopefully that gets him away from the door then it's a quick knockout and drag him into the forest." Evan explained. I nodded as we went through the plan.