Chapter 16

Abigail sat down on the bed crying. She couldn't look outside again ,she didn't want to know if the gunshot killed Antonio.She heard a lot of commotions in the living room so she made her way downstairs with a heavy heart.
As she entered the living room ,she heard the sound of the ambulance and she saw Clara crying.
" Oh no don't tell me ..." ,Abigail said thinking about Antonio.
Abigail went to where her mother in law was standing by herself . She was crying hysterically and opened her arms when she saw Abigail coming up to her. They hugged each other as Raphael's mother said Antonio's name over and over again. Abigail told her he will be fine not to cry, though she didn't know if that was the truth. Mateo and Raphael came in and their clothes were covered in blood .
" Where's my Antonio?!", their mother asked anxiously.
Abigail also wanted to know as she looked at the brothers who looked at each other first before answering.
" Mum, Antonio was badly wounded, he has to be ...operated on", Mateo said trying to speak calmly.
Clara nearly collapsed when Mateo told her that but Abigail hold on tightly to her.
" Take me to him Mateo ..Now!", Clara ordered Mateo .
" Yes lets go", Mateo said.
" Raphael Can I come?", Abigail said.
" Si cara you coming with me!", Clara replied before Raphael answered.
They all got in the car with Mateo, Mr. Alonso and Marina had already left when the ambulance arrived.
" My son , don't let anything happen to him", Clara said resting her head on Abigail's shoulder.
The drive to the hospital seemed like the longest drive ever for Abigail. She was praying slowly in her mind all the way.
They arrived at the hospital and they were guided by a nurse to the operating rooms as Antonio had already gone inside the operating theater .
Mr. Alonso and Marina's parent were standing
in the  corridor whilst Marina sat down with her head bent.
As she looked up ,she didn't look happy when she saw Abigail there ,specially since she saw Clara hugging her as they walked towards them.
Abigail could see the look on her face but she didn't care , she was here for Antonio, not for her.
Clara went straight into Mateo's arms as they hugged each other. He murmured something in her ears and she looked at him trying to smile and nodded yes.
Abigail found it weird that she was hugging Mateo instead of her husband at that moment , but she didn't give that much attention.
Abigail sat there staring straight at the operating theater doors. Each time someone came out her heart would skip a beat.
Raphael came next to her and offer her his jacket , she smiled at him and took it.
His trousers had blood on there, Antonio's blood.
" Did you have a fight with Antonio earlier?", Raphael asked her softly.
Abigail was surprised he asked that question.
" What ?!", Abigail replied whispering.
" I was looking for you outside and Alfred said he saw you arguing upstairs with Antonio", Raphael said.
" Hmm trust Alfred to tell the whole truth", Abigail said to herself.
" Well ...", Abigail paused thinking carefully of what she was going to say.
" I wouldn't call it arguing, you know him and I we don't get along", Abigail said calmly, Raphael didn't ask anymore questions.
" Who ever attacked us tonight will come back. It is surely someone who knows the inside out of the mansion and knows each every step of the family", Raphael said changing conversation.
"Do you have an idea who this could be?",Abigail asked him quietly.
" No , no idea yet", Raphael said .

After what looked like an eternity a Doctor came out and went to Mr and Mrs De Luca. She saw Clara putting her hands on her mouth.
" Oh no!please let him be alive", Abigail said to herself.
Raphael got up and went by his mother's side and Mateo joined them. Marina was talking to the Doctor and she had a sad look on her face.
Abigail didn't know if she should go there next to them , she didn't want to hear any bad news ,she would not be able to hide her feelings if she was told something bad had happen to Antonio.
" Thank you Doctor!", Mr. Alonso said shaking the Doctor's hands.
Clara  hugged Marina smiling. Abigail wanted to know what was going on ,as Raphael approached her she hoped that it was not written on her face that she was so anxious to know about Antonio.
" He is out of danger,they induced him into a coma and now they are just monitoring him since he did a blood transfusion as well. They were able to remove the bullet inches away from his kidney!", Raphael said sitting down next to her.
She wanted to jump with joy but she just smiled and told Raphael that's great news.
Antonio would have to spend a few hours in the Intensive Care. Clara said that she would stay at the hospital with him ,she asked Marina to stay but she said she had to attend to her work tomorrow and she cannot canceled the photo shoot.
" Hmm her work is more important that her fiancé!", Abigail thought .
Marina and her family said goodbye to the family and Mateo said he had to leave since he had a trial early morning.
Mr. Alonso called him to the side said something to him then patted him on the back .
Matteo kissed his mother goodbye and left .
" We are leaving", Raphael said to her. She really wanted to stay so she asked him if she can stay with Clara.
" Well...I don't have any problem with that , daughter in law duties, I'll be at Eduardo's",he whispered in her ears and they both smiled.
" Speaking of him didn't see him at the party tonight", Abigail asked softly.
" He said he had work , Fashion week coming and everything", Raphael replied .
"I'll come and get you early morning when I bring mum her change of clothes", Raphael said kissing her on her forehead.
Mr. Alonso kissed his wife goodbye and without acknowledging her he left with Raphael .
Clara was happy that Abigail was staying with her . They were guided by a nurse to the Intensive Care where they could see Antonio through the glass windows.
He was there sleeping with all the machines monitoring his heart and an oxygen mask over his nose. Abigail was sad to see him like that. She took her time to admire him as her eyes caressed his face.
" He is handsome isn't he?", Clara said standing next to her offering her a cup of coffee.
She hoped that it was not so obvious that she was admiring Antonio.
" Your sons are all handsome since they have a beautiful mother", Abigail replied thanking her for the coffee.
" Ha! Thanks for the compliment ", Clara said smiling.
Abigail was happy that she could make her smile , poor woman had been through so much tonight.
"Mrs. De Luca", They both turned at the same time to find a doctor behind them.
" We have prepared a room for him , we will move him in the next couple of hours and he will be under observation in the room", The Doctor told them.
Clara smiled as she said thank you to the doctor.
" Let's go Abigail, you stay with us in the room . It's a private room with a lot of space", Clara said extending her hands to Abigail, she gave her a hug and then they followed the nurse who had come to meet them.
Abigail didn't really like hospitals , it always reminded her of her father's death. For her hospital always brought bad news , but she was glad that in Antonio's case up till now they have only received good news.
Abigail and Clara had their dinner in the hospital cafeteria. They got to chat a lot and Abigail told her about her family but left out the fact that her brother is a commander in the military and he is on the lookout for Mafias.
She didn't think that this was the sort of news that  Mrs. De Luca would have been happy to hear at this moment ..unless she was not aware of what was going on in her own house!
They went back to the room and soon after Antonio was brought inside the room still sleeping. Abigail was happy that he was there and she thank God that he will be fine. She wanted so badly to caress his face ,to run her hands through his hair and whisper in his ears that everything will be ok.
Clara was speaking to the Doctor outside the room , she came in to get her phone saying she's calling home. She went outside the room and Abigail saw her talking on the phone and went away with the Doctor.
She moved closer to Antonio and she saw the bandages around his abdomen . His face was pale .She traced a finger over his lips and was tempted to kiss him. She looked around no one was insight she bent down and slowly brushed her lips against his. She slowly kissed his eyelids and his forehead.
" You have to get better", she whispered close
to his ear.
She heard footsteps outside the door she quickly moved away from Antonio's bed and sat down on a sofa .
Clara came in smiling .
" The Doctor said by morning he will wake up and for now everything looks positive", Clara said happily.
" You should get some sleep Mrs. De Luca", Abigail suggested.
" Oh dear , do call me Clara", Clara said smiling at Abigail.
" Thank you for being here with me", she said kissing Abigail on her cheeks. She laid down on the small bed that was in the room and Abigail laidback on the sofa she looked at Antonio until she dozed off.