Chapter 7-Table Talk

Chapter 6

Nic's POV

The past two days with my family has been great. Things are still stressful with my dad but that is nothing new. We just don't see eye to eye and never have. But other than that the past two days have been great; relaxing by the fire at night when it cools down and sitting on the beach during the day sucking on a longneck. I've spent a lot of time with Eli, she is such a little bugger. Sometimes it's almost like she is my daughter instead of my little sister. She was refusing to go back to pre-school but I told her on my next day off I would take her to the slushy stand a few blocks away. She is so easy for me to relate to. Man you ever have one of those days where you just dread going into work? Today is that day for me.

When I arrive Mitch meets me at the privacy gate.

"Hey, man what's up?" I ask considering it is really weird for him to meet me here.

"We need to talk and I didn't want there to be a chance that she might overhear," he says.

"Alright man hop in and I'll give you a ride back to the house," I tell him and he jumps in the car.

"I'm gonna just be blunt and get to the point since we don't have much time. You have to stop being a dick to her. She has been through a lot of bad shit in her life man. Instead of harsh insults just don't say anything unless you have to. Got it?" he finally asked. I was shocked that he would talk to me this way. I wonder what kind of time he had with her while I was away. She is probably black mailing him now.

"Yeah man anything for a friend," I say sarcastically. But I will because I don't want him to lose his job.

I wasn't supposed to work today but Sal called in a favor from me. Mitch left and I made my way inside. Guessing that she heard the door slam because she said, "Sal I am upstairs. Mitch took me to the movies last night it was great I sure wish you could've been there. How is the family? Sal..." she sounded like she was getting worried but hey I am not suppose to talk to her, right? I rounded the corner of her room. When she saw it was me the 100 watt smile she had faded into surprise and finally disappointment. Should it bother me that she was disappointed it was me instead of Sal, the family man?

"Oh um...sorry I was told Sal was coming in today. Since it was Sal I had made some plans but I will cancel them," she told me as she turned away from me and grabbed her phone and started texting.

"You don't have to cancel. Where do I need to take you?" I asked her.

"No it's kind of something I do with Sal," she said. Whoa I didn't take her for being so sleazy that she would be a home wrecker too. Mitch told me to keep my insults quiet so I did. I just shrugged and walked away. About an hour later I went to check on her. Her door was open and it sounded like she was crying. She was sitting on her bed with her back to me holding a picture frame in her hand and she was definitely crying.

"Momma, Daddy I miss you both so much. If you hadn't been on your way to watch me sing that night you would still be here. No one has ever loved me as much as you and I know no one ever will. My life is so messed up right now..." she started but I walked away. The moment was too private for me to eavesdrop even if I don't like her.

Ria POV

After an afternoon sitting in my room feeling sorry for myself, I sent a text to Tom. He said he would be over with depression provisions asap. Even though I could really use some girl time I haven't had the nerve to call Elise after the incident. Tom was always a mood lifter though and that's just what I need. An hour later I heard the gate beep as I was getting a glass of water. Dominic came into the room.

"Are you expecting company?" he asked.

"Yes Tom is over for a visit," I told him. He nodded but I could've sworn I heard him say, "Great the groper is back."