22 | My Surprise

JOOKIE WHISTLED AND MOTIONED FOR US TO FOLLOW HIM DOWN THE HALL

JOOKIE WHISTLED AND MOTIONED FOR US TO FOLLOW HIM DOWN THE HALL. We had no choice but to follow him with the guards flanking us from all sides.

Layla was still off somewhere, so she didn't join us. We passed by the kitchen and the dining room, pausing at the far wall.

Snapping his fingers, the walls parted like the red sea, revealing a new location. Glittering pearl-colored granite shone under the bright fluorescent lights in the ceiling. An enormous rectangular pool filled the cerulean-painted area, a white diving board glinting toward the right. Spacious marble hot tubs took up every corner.

Everyone piled in, taking in the beautiful sight.

Jookie loitered near the entrance, arms folded against his chest. "You guys can use this room at any time."

Chi giggled, sliding her tall heels against the flooring. "I can wear my new bikini now." She waltzed around the pool, ogling the sparkling water.

Gmie joined her by the pool with a giant grin on her face. "God, I missed swimming. I'm going to use this room all the time."

"I didn't know you liked to swim so much," Demo asked, coming up behind her.

"I love it," Gmie said, eyes sparkling. "It's the best feeling to be one with the water."

My eyes watched everyone parade around the new area, excitement buzzing in the air. Yaz stayed back like me, looking almost bored.

To me, the pool didn't radiate fun. It came off as more of a death trap. Images of someone trying to drown me entered my whirling mind. Drowning was the key element here. Or slipping and falling. This room just screamed vulnerability. Death beckoned to me here.

Maybe it was Tiran's death, but something just felt wrong now. Having your worst nightmare sprung upon you before death— wow. The creators of this show were sadistic as fuck.

Tiran was a savage rapist who deserved whatever pain his victims went through but quadrupled, but still, that was a beautifully horrific way to die.

Just thinking about it made my tummy deliciously swirl and twist. I licked my lips and then shook my head, trying to ignore the tingling going through me. Stop it. I distracted myself from the sensations by thinking about Tiran again.

His answer for his actions was his father. Because his father gave him the pills and called him a lesser man, Tiran thought he had the right to do those things.
But Khan said he wasn't his father. That Tiran made his own choices. Was that true?

Could I make the choice of not becoming my mother? What if all this Betinia-Tini switch crap was bogus and it was all biological or genetic? What if I wasn't strong enough, and I was just fighting a losing battle?

Did my mother have a choice? What if that darkness was just so uncontrollable that she had no other choice but to unleash it?

I shuddered before descending out of the room, making my way back to my bedroom. With midnight approaching, being around these people would be deadly and swimming wasn't really my thing. I hated getting my hair wet.