128 | No

DENIAL

DENIAL. It spewed through me like a burning waterfall, drenching my veins and cells. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NOOOOO. No. No. NOOOOOO. No.

No.

No.

I couldn't believe that. I couldn't believe that about Khan. He couldn't be the spy. He couldn't. No.

He's smart. Too smart. That doesn't mean anything. So you're defending him. Yes. I never want to hear another word about me defending Sebbie's character then. Touché, I guess. 

"Letting it sink in?"

I glared. "No. He'd never do."

They shrugged. "Hey. If you want to die on that hill, go ahead. You know he's constantly keeping stuff from you, and he's a great liar."

I rubbed my thumb and index finger together, thinking. They were right. He did constantly keep things from us, but no. I had to trust him.

"Let's move," they said, pointing at me. "It could be Yaz helping me. She does have a thing for revenge. And girls who are good at revenge are good at manipulation."

"Lies. I did nothing to Yaz for her to get revenge."

"I don't know. You and Rucker are close — too close. And she has a weird thing with him. She might like him."

They honestly need to just fuck already.

"And she sees your relationship with him as a threat. She could be jealous," they said, tone singsongy. "She even said something about that, remember? About girls getting jealous over—"

"Yeah, but it pertained to a theory about you being Bae." I glanced at the glowing mask, straining to see if I could get a feeling that it was Bae. But I couldn't tell.

"Anything's possible, piggy," they said. "It could be Rucker helping me—"

"You can cut that shit out now," I shouted, cutting them off. "I'll believe nothing you say about Rucker. Nothing."

"He did kill his own brother."

"So?"

"Plus, he has a thong collection the size of Texas. One in each color. He even has an LED light one."

A sudden laugh bumbled in my belly, and I held it back. "Doesn't make me suspicious of him in the slightest." I did wonder why he had so many thongs though.

"What about Seb then? It could be him. Maybe I am him?"

My Sebbie wouldn't do anything as low class as this. Try again, honey.

"But you probably think that Sebbie could never do anything like this, right?"

I stiffened. How did they know what she said? No. Sebbie is a normal nickname for Sebastian, right? But they did know about the alters, but they could've easily been watching that whole Sebastian-Jookie fight scene and found out that way. Or maybe not.