116 | Thirteenth?

Author Note Hi guys! I literally edited all these chapters in 24 hours, so I apologize if there's any mistakes

Author Note
Hi guys! I literally edited all these chapters in 24 hours, so I apologize if there's any mistakes. I never edited this many words in such a short time so my brain's fried lol but I had so much going on with my grandpa and moving that this was my only day free to really focus. I hope you guys enjoy them and I hope you're keeping safe and doing alright! And thank you so much for the positive messages and PMs. I'm totally backed up, but I'll be answering every single one! And I CAN'T believe BOTK is almost at 600k reads! 😭😭😭 Thank you so much for your votes, support and comments! 🖤🖤

♟♙♟

THIRTEENTH CONTESTANT. What? My mind whirled with so many different thoughts at once that it cut off my breath.

Thirteen.

I did remember at the start of the game Jookie saying there were thirteen contestants, yet only twelve of us actually entered the house. That day was so dang hectic and intense that I just thought they killed off the other person. But what if they didn't?

Rucker peered up at Khan in utter confusion. "Huh?"

"Remember when we all fell into those cages at the beginning of the game, and they started eliminating people?" Khan stood up, pacing. "At the end of it all, they said there were thirteen of us left. Yet only twelve of us actually competed in that first challenge with the body parts."

Yaz shuddered. "I'll never forget that day. Ever. But I honestly don't remember much about other people — I was mostly focused on my damn self."

"We all were," Khan said, walking. "We were all in shock and focused only on our own survival. Every one of us was distracted in some way. That would've been the perfect time to sneak one of us away without the rest noticing it."

I bit my lip. "So many people died that day that I just thought they killed them off too." My mind was also a little sidetracked from seeing the masked figure for the first time, so I didn't really examine the number of contestants as closely as I should have.

"Possibly," Khan said, putting a hand under his chin. "But what if they didn't? When we entered the house, there were twelve names on the game board, so I figured the same as you — probably killed them off. But then, during Layla's killer reveal, Jookie said, "thirteen people entered this house. Twelve killers and one innocent"— those words got me thinking again, what if that last killer did make it into the house with us?"

"He did say that," I whispered, thinking back. He also gave me that riddle before and the answer was... thirteen. But was that what he meant? Another contestant?

"And think back to that tunnel that Bet found," Khan said. "I go back there from time to time and I always see plates and food wrappers."

"I figured that came from the camera crew," I said, looking up at him.