44 | The Blast From The Past

SERIOUSLY? THEY WERE bringing up Jonathan?

"Yes, I had a boyfriend. So what?"

Multiple comments flooded the screen: Boyfriend? Huh? What about Sebastian? What about Khan? Slut. These hoes ain't loyal.

A SLUT? Did someone really call me a slut? I wasn't even dating Sebastian or Khan. Even if I was, I hated that word. I should be able to do what the fuck I wanted without judgment.

Jonathan was my first boyfriend, and we'd only been dating for a few months. I've never really been big on dating. I spent most of my life just trying to be normal, which was very tiring, so I felt like dating would just be a hassle. Plus, no one ever really caught my eye.

Until Jonathan, and even he had to ask me out multiple times before I said yes. The only reason I actually accepted was because he was really cute, and some of the girls at school kept saying it was weird that I kept rejecting all the guys at school.

And when I brought that up to my therapist, she said it might be a good idea to start dating. So to please everyone, I got a boyfriend.

"What's he like?" Jookie asked.

"He liked cars." Every time we went out, he always picked me up in some new sports car, and he loved to ramble on about the car's mechanics.

"Hmmm." Jookie put a finger to his lip. "What did he do for a living?"

"He told me he owned some tech startup that specialized in making multiplayer video games." At fifteen, he dropped out of school to support his younger brother and saved up money for three years to start his business.

"Do you miss him?" Jookie asked, leaning in. "Did you love him?"

"No, I wasn't in love," I said watching his eyes change. "I've never been in love before."

Just because I didn't have that instant love connection with Jonathan didn't mean I didn't like him. I did. Being around him made me feel... normal, and I liked that feeling. And he was charming, sophisticated, and a good kisser.

Plus, there was just something about him that made me... ugh, it's hard to describe. But no, I didn't love him, but it could've been possibile one day maybe.

"Do you think Jonathan loved you?" Jookie asked.

"No idea, Jookie," I said, thinking back to our final days together. Jonathan had been his normal, giving self, always buying me stuff that I didn't need. "I don't want to talk about him anymore."

Our relationship was over, and I'd probably never see him again. I wasn't going to cry about it; I had bigger things to worry about.

Jookie pulled his shoulder up. "You don't gotta be snappy. I'm just trying to give the viewers what they want."