6: Off to the mountains?

Freedom  ...But for how long?

When your eyes met the outside world again you immediately realised you were in the car park and that the exit was just across from you.

"Hey! What are you doing?"

There was shouting from behind you but you paid no interest and sprinted down in between the cars, dodging through ladies with shopping bags and cars eager for an open space.

Just as you reached the end of the car park you looked behind to see two mall cops charging out the fire exit you'd just escaped from.

Unfortunately for them they weren't quite as fast as you and you managed to reach the busy streets again before they even spotted you. But this time, you realised, everything wasn't so "okay" as Hobi had said before. This time you weren't surrounded by hybrids to help cover your disguise. This time you were alone. Again.

You kept your head low and pace fast, swerving through some hybrids and bumping shoulders with others. Before you'd always apologised when you bumped shoulders with people but you didn't want to look at anyone now, so you bit your lip to control your apologising habit.

When the streets became less chaotic and less populated you could lift your head slightly to make sure you were heading in the right direction, and within 30 minutes you were standing outside the convenience store you were going to rob from a few days ago.

Now that you had Tae's money you walked in casually and searched for the usual food that kept you going.

You grabbed various packs of pot noodles, water bottles, granola bars, energy bars, energy drinks, toiletries and anything else you needed and then headed to the counter.

The same guy you'd always seen from the rooftop was scanning your items. He was much more handsome in person, and young, which made you wonder how he ended up working here and not as a model.

The man eventually scanned all your items, clearly judging you, as you simultaneously packed them into plastic bags to carry. So while he was collecting the cash he owed you after you gave him a few notes, he finally spoke up.

"You heading to the mountains or something?" he said. You hesitated on what you would reply. Should you laugh it off saying you were just very healthy? Or should you go along with the joke? Or maybe just say you're a trainer or something?

In the end you went with:

"No."

Brilliant.

The man turned to you and then laughed. His smile widening across his face, pushing his dimpled cheeks to make his eyes smile too. It was cute.

"Alright then, mysterious girl, here's your change," he handed you a few coins and you took them gently from his hand and scooped up your bags and left.

The man just chuckled again as you left. There was something about you that just seemed so.. strange. It amused him until his next customer popped up in front of him.

Once you'd left the store you headed straight for your alley back to your apartments but it wasn't until you reached the hole in the building that you remembered your mistake.

You'd forgotten to cover the hole with the rubbish bags before you left the other night, meaning the hole in the apartment building that was checked and cleared and has been supposedly unoccupied for over a year was on full display for anyone to walk past and notice.

Meaning someone could have noticed. Meaning someone may have been suspicious. Meaning that someone might have called for investigators. Meaning your apartment that had gone unnoticed for so long may have just become the foundation of a huge investigation.