Shocked

*****

"Kim Taehyung"

*****

Your heart stops. 

You stop. 

Everything stops.

And for a second you just stand there. 

Not aware of anything around you, anything at all except for the name that just left Jungkook's lips.

"Y/N? Y/N, you okay?" Jungkook's voice snaps you back to reality, laced with concern.

"Did you just say..." you trail off in disbelief. "Kim Taehyung?"

"Yeah, why?" his eyes scan your features in confusion. "You know him?"

The realization sets in. Messy breakup. Became depressed. It all makes sense. Taehyung never really spoke to you about his friends, but you had known there had been one he was especially close to.

"Jungkook..." you squeak, eyes wide.

"What? What is it Y/N?" he takes hold of your shoulders as you shift your eyes up to look him dead in the eyes.

"He's my brother"

He gives you a look of shock. 

"You? Y-you- you're... his little sister?" he stutters. "you mean like – the one - the one who was bullied by his girlfriend?"

You squeeze your eyes shut tightly, trying to ignore the pain ripping through your heart. Oh shit. He knows the story. 

"I'm sorry... that was insensitive of me," he apologizes.

"It's okay," you let out a shaky breath and smile at him weakly. "it's in the past," 

Then something dawns upon you.

"So, i take it you never met his girlfriend?" unfortunately, your voice comes out more bitter than you intended it to.

"N-no he never introduced me to her,"

"And you never caught her name?"

"H-He never spoke about her to me until they broke up. And when he told me everything he never mentioned a name. Why? Who is she?"

You look at him with eyes that encompass years worth of hurt and pain. Negative emotions that have accumulated and built up over all this time, each one because of her.

"Lee Hyuna,"

He drops his package of ramen, the cup bumping onto the concrete and rolling across the uneven ground before gently bumping the toe of your shoe.

"Lee HYUNA? As in the one who works for me? The one who glares daggers at you every time you pass?"

You nod, sighing. His consternation doesn't come as any surprise to you. The girl was practically throwing herself at him, you can't imagine how disgusted you would have felt in his position.

You're both silent for a while as you process. You can't help but feel like the protagonist of some crazy, dramatic book. What are the chances of this happening?

"What a small world," You whisper, looking up at the sky and breathing in deeply.

"I'm so sorry Y/N. If only i knew the backstory... by employing her, i've just added salt to injury. I would never even let her set foot in my building if I knew what she did and who she was. Who you were," He looks at you earnestly.

"But you didn't know. So it's not your fault"

As he looks at your brave face, he can't help but feel a sense of awe. You didn't know this, but Taehyung had cried to Jungkook about the incident involving you and Hyuna for many nights, trying to accept the fact that his lover wasn't who he thought she was. He had told Jungkook in great detail of what he saw when he walked into his sister's room that night, the scars and wounds made by Hyuna.

Jeon Jungkook might be the CEO and boss of one of Seoul's biggest companies, but he realizes now just how weak he really is.

He thought his small past troubles of being an introvert and not being able to get a girlfriend prior to becoming what he now is were "hard times," but now he realizes his social hardships were nothing compared to what you have been through. 

It makes him realize how strong you must have been to get through all of that, to endure all of that suffering alone for so long; purely for the sake of your brother's happiness. Suddenly he has even more respect and admiration for you as he watches you walk along the quiet streets by his side. He knows he could have never stayed strong through all of that. 

He always knew it, but finally knowing your backstory only made it clearer to Jungkook.

You definitely aren't like the rest. 

"Well, here's my house," you nod toward the residence, stopping at the gate.

"Oh," he looks at the ground. There's a moment of silence. He doesn't move, almost as if he's hesitant to leave.

"You want to come in?" you offer awkwardly. He looks up at you, doubt and hesitation clear on his face.

"Is Taehyung here?" he peers around you nervously. You turn around to check if his car is still absent, and it is.

"No, he's out. I don't expect he'll be in until late,"

He nods, giving you a sweet smile. "okay,"

You unlock the door and step inside.

*****

You and Jungkook are sitting on the couch in front of the tv, both of you slurping at your noodles. Jungkook had just dropped some down his front, and you were busy laughing at him as he struggled to lick it off.

"How come you're so different at work?" you sigh, tilting your head to the side. "No offense, but you're kind of a flirty asshole to everyone. Just this week alone I've seen at least six different girls mincing into your office, I don't even want to know what goes on in there,"

He chuckles nervously, feeling a tad embarrassed at what you must think of him.

"A question I get asked a lot. Why am I like this? To be honest, I'm not even sure myself,' 

He takes a deep breath.

"I think it's just the fact that I'm so afraid of opening up to people. It's like every time things start to get serious with a girl, I feel scared and out of control. When real emotions come in, that's when things get complicated. That's when you can get hurt. And that's why I never let myself get that far in a relationship,"

You feel your heart become heavy with disappointment, but you don't know why. 

"At first it was easier this way, but now one night stands have just become something that takes my mind off of my work and responsibilities. My nature is something I can't even control anymore," he sighs bitterly, "believe it or not, it gets really lonely sometimes. Never having someone's shoulder to cry on, never having someone who actually gives a crap about you, never having someone to just stay,"

He sees your smile falter.

"Recently I've kind of realized that it's a habit I need to kick," he says thoughtfully, his pulchritudinous eyes swirling with regretfulness like a dangerously beautiful storm. The fading smile on your lips grows a little at his words.

A comfortable silence settles in the dim living room, and the only thing that can be heard is the quiet background murmuring of the television. Eventually, your eyelids become heavy and the figures on the screen blur out of focus. Finally, after the long and eventful day you've suffered, your tiredness gets the better of you and your consciousness slips away.

*****

A/N

sorry this one was so short, it was kinda just a filler xx

*****