Clair De Lune

*****

A/N

This is the second to last chapter. Please vote for the chapter if you want to know how the story ends :)

AndagainitsreallybadSORRY x

*****

I walk down the dark and quiet street, hugging my bare arms as a cool breeze brushes past my skin. I begin to mentally curse myself for not wearing thicker clothing.

I can just make out his tall figure on the curb in the distance, standing alone and looking upward into the night sky. I'm not sure why, but my stomach tightens with nerves. I really hope this isn't awkward... neither one of us can stand awkwardness.

He turns around to face me as I approach him. His whole body seems to relax a little, as though he wasn't expecting me to show up.

"Sorry, I'm a little late," I mumble. I'd freaked out at the last minute and spent ten minutes standing in front of the mirror, giving myself a pep talk and trying to decide if I really wanted to meet up with him.

He laughs breathily. "I was starting to think you wouldn't even come. I wouldn't blame you."

"To be honest, I was starting to think I wouldn't come either," I smiled slightly at the ground, toeing a stray pebble next to my shoe.

His glittering eyes that reflect the streetlights skim across my outfit. He shakes his head disapprovingly at the thin material of my t-shirt.

"Here, take this," He shrugs his coat off his shoulders and wraps it around me. Normally I would refuse because I don't want him to get cold for my sake, but for some reason, the words just don't come out. I'm not mad at him anymore, so why do I feel like there's still a barrier between us?

We stroll along the street in silence, me staring at my shoes and Jungkook with his hands in his pockets. Like I said before, I hate awkward silences. I clear my throat.

"So... where are we going?"

"Um... to the park just down the road," he replies, nodding his head in the direction of the large woodland reserve not too far ahead of us. Taehyung sometimes takes Yeontan there, his beloved dog that follows him all around the house. The thought of my brother's annoying little puppy makes me smile despite the current circumstances. I love Yeontan and I think he's adorable, don't get me wrong, but he's just so small that I always have to watch where I'm stepping in case I tread on him.

But what I should be wondering is; why on Earth has Jungkook decided to take me to a park at 10 O'clock at night? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

After five minutes of walking in taciturnity, we arrive at the entrance of the park. I start to walk down the path but Jungkook gently grabs my shoulders and steers me in the other direction, off the trail and towards the woods.

"What? Why, what's happening?"

He leads me through a cluster of tall trees, their branches casting shadows on the moonlit grass. Suddenly we come to a clearing, and my eyes widen.

Right in the centre, a picnic rug laden with cushions and pillows is thrown out onto the grass, a food hamper and a bottle of wine nestled in the middle. Candles are placed at the foot of the surrounding trees and perched on the branches. It reminded me of a woodland version of our first date, and it was beautiful. But can you expect anything less from Jungkook?

"What's all this for?," I ask breathlessly.

"Do you like it?"

I feel his intense eyes on me, gauging my reaction, waiting for my reply. But I cannot speak. The gorgeous sight has literally rendered me speechless and has taken completely by surprise. After I have recovered from the momentary shock, I look at Jungkook. I don't know what to say to him, so I just let my thoughts flow out of my mouth.

"Do you know how hard it is to stay mad at you when you do things like this?"

The massive smile that breaks out onto his face takes my breath away more than any moonlit picnic ever could, no matter how much time and effort someone might have put into it. Something as simple as his smile is enough to rise heat to my cheeks, and I realise at that moment that I don't want Jungkook in my life.

I need him in it.

He beckons me to the picnic rug, sitting down cross-legged in the cushions. I almost stifle a laugh at how childlike he looks sitting curled up amongst the soft pillows. Hesitantly, I sit down on the cushions beside him, and I notice that I'm starting to relax a little more now.

"So why did you decide to come in the end? What changed your mind?" Jungkook asks, looking directly at me so that I felt as if he was looking into my soul. That's one of the things I love about him. If he cares about someone when they're talking he gives them his full attention and looks at them like they're the only person in the world.

"Well," I took a deep breath and looked away, thinking carefully about my answer. "I thought about it a lot. And I realised that at some point, whether we like it or not, we have to talk about this issue properly. And I decided I would like to do that sooner rather than later," I looked him in the eye and offer him a small smile. Almost like a peace offering.

"We both deserve a chance to fix what needs to be fixed. And I want to fix this. Because I love you Jungkook," I admit. There's no point hiding my true feelings at this point; I don't want either of us to hide anything anymore.

He smiles back sweetly, and my heart flutters a little. He takes hold of my hand.

"Y/N, I give you my word that from now on there will be no secrets or anything hidden in our relationship. I promise that I will be open with you instead of being scared of how you will react. I'm so sorry, I was such a coward," his face is full of regret as he picks at the loose wool of one of the cushions. "I was just... I was so afraid of losing you that it caused me to almost lose you anyway,"

I feel my heart smile. In the midst of my despair yesterday, I had forgotten that Jungkook is human too. He makes mistakes just like everyone else, and he deserves a second chance just like everyone else too.

"You could never lose me," I shook my head. "It's too late for that now... there's no going back,"

Then we just stare at each other for a moment. I study his surreal face, the moonlight shining on his skin and casting shadows across his cheekbones. My eyes skim across angled jawline and settle onto his pink, full lips. Suddenly I can't take my eyes off of them. I tear my gaze up to his dark orbs and I realize that he is looking at my lips too.

After a few seconds of battling with our self-control, neither of us can take it any longer. Jungkook leans forward and crashes his lips into mine. Time slows down and suddenly I forget all about the candles and the wine and the fancy scene all around us, all I am focused on is Jungkook and the way his lips mould perfectly onto mine.

Jungkook tilts his head to deepen the kiss. He snakes his arms around my waist and pulls me into his lap, and I break the kiss momentarily.

"I love you," I whisper against his lips. He kisses me harder in response. I've said those words twice tonight, and I can't help but feel slightly hurt that he didn't return them. Why is he holding back?

But all of a sudden, I hear a loud, low rumbling erupting from the sky. I break the kiss again, startled. Jungkook's lips curve into a secret, knowing smile.

I look at him in confusion and he just grins at me innocently before looking up into the sky, and that's when I get an inkling that this romantic picnic wasn't the only thing he'd planned. The rumbling noise gets louder and louder, sounding a bit like an aeroplane but much bigger.

I look up at the wide view of the sky in front of me...

and almost pass out from the shock of what I see.

*****
Comment if you understand the title of this chapter :) I also named it that bc its my fave piano piece of all time