Chapter 4

Elodie Amaya D11

Elodie adjusted the straps of her dress nervously, looking down at it. It was short and black, with spaghetti straps. It was simple yet, one of the most precious things she owned. It was ruffled slightly at the bottom, making it seem sweet and slightly frilly.

Suddenly, the door swung open and she saw her.

Coralie's long, straight black hair was pulled back in a loose bun. Her deep green eyes filled with fear.

Her being only ten, she was not elegible in the reaping.

Elodie grasped her hand and pulled her into a hug, loud sobs racking her sister's small frame.

"Don't cry Cor, don't cry" She held her tighter. "It's ok..."

"N-No its not!" Coralie pulled away from her. "I don't want you to die"

"I know, I know" she stroked her hair slowly. "I need you to be strong, I know it's hard but you need to" She grasped her shoulders and faced her directly. "Im so sorry Coralie, I'm so sorry.... I didn't think this would happen, that you'd be alone with her"

"I-it's ok, I'll be ok..." She could tell her sister said it only for her benefit and it sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than Elodie. "I'll just be careful not to make her angry"

They just say in silence for a while, merely enjoying each others' presence.

The door slammed open again and the peacekeepers ran in. Coralie left without a fuss but Elodie could see how scared she was. Not only of being home without her and alone with Jennifer, but that she'd have to see her own sister brutally murdered on screen.

She waited a few minutes, and her heart sunk. Ally and Callandra weren't coming. Though she didn't feel surprised, their caring only ran so deep. It hurt, that her two best friends couldn't come and see her for the last time. She didn't have anyone but Coralie left.

She didn't want to think about what would happen to her sister. With Elodie gone, she would have no one left. She wouldn't have someone to protect her from her aunt.

Panic rose up in her chest, the fear for her sibling boiling over. The Capitol wanted them to think this was an honor, but instead it ripped everyone apart bit by bit, until they disintegrated into nothing.

-----

Daisuke Mushu D6

Daisuke let his eyes wander hungrily over the table, soaking in every dish and letting the aroma fill his mind. This was nothing like District 6. This was paradise. And this wasn't even the Capitol yet, it was just the train.

He didn't pay much attention to his District partner. He couldn't even remember her name. She was a scrawny little thing, wouldn't stand a chance, heck, he'd probably be the one to kill her.

He took pride in his training, he could outsmart them, he could defeat the careers. Return to victor's village and never have to see his old life again.

---------

Acrebeth Wade D5

Acrebeth was extremely grumpy. She couldn't erase the image of her two younger siblings' faces as they realized that they would be alone. Their innocent green eyes that matched hers stared right through her, begging for a way out. But there wasn't a loophole, they could do nothing except try to survive

She ignored the presence of her mentor; Alison as she entered. Trying to utter words of advice. But Acrebeth couldn't make herself absorb it, she couldn't think about it without getting jumbled thoughts. She wanted to win but... She didn't want to kill.

---------------

Arabella Harold D9

Lost in thought, Arabella twirled the intricately weaved bracelet between her fingertips. The pearls giving off a shimmering pink light. It was beautiful.

She tried to strategize. She could get in with the careers, but that held the risk of being killed in her sleep. No, she'd have to go solo. Allies were just dangerous. She had the skill, she could do it. Live in the woods, keep out of trouble. That would be the key. She could do it, she could win and then go home a hero.

The only problem was that her sister, Alaizabel was still at risk. She couldn't volunteer for her again if she got reaped. And she'd have more chances next year. But, if Arabella died, it would be no help. 

They would go on half starving. Winning at least would gain the district food, and Arabella could live in victor's village with Alaizabel. It couldn't guarantee safety, but it at least held the promise of comfort.