Chapter 12

Poplar stared, wide eyed, as HE stepped up onstage. And by him, she meant Cinocca, of course. One glance into his dark blue, swirling eyes, and she'd be lost. She'd hardly payed attention to any other interviews, except for the blonde girl from District two. The one that HE always hung out with. A pang of jealousy struck her fiercely.

He was stunning, in black. Mysterious, deadly, gorgeous. This certainly wasn't planned, she wasn't supposed to become completely infatuated with the enemy. She was supposed to kill him.

She listened in on him and Caesar's conversation, the two exchanging friendly jokes.

"So Cinocca, got anyone special at home?" his eyebrows twitched, painted a lilac colour.

"Well, I've got an array of admirers at home, but no one that stands out" he smiled, and Poplar's heart skipped a beat.

"Seriously? You're not in a relationship?"

"Well there's a girl I just met, beautiful. An angel" a smirk flits across his face.

"You don't say? Won't you give us a name?"

"Now, now Caesar. I think we'd both rather keep it hush, hush"

"That's too bad, I know we're all very curious"

Poplar's face fell, because she knew he was talking about HER. McKinley Crane. She hated her, and her stupid giggle. She wanted an alliance with Cinocca, but she wouldn't be able to stand having to be around her.

And finally, the buzzer went off. It was her time now.

She allowed herself to forget about Cinocca, even if only for a second.

Her dress was blue, with a mermaid train. At the top, it looked like a stream, busy with fish. The water rippled under the lights. Glittering. The stream flowed out into a river, then down into the ocean, which was the train. Waves crashing against the indigo tides.

She felt dazzling, beautiful. Her brown hair was curled, and her golden eyes accentuated with black eyeliner. And now it was her time to shine.

------------

Reese shook nervously in her seat. She was in no way ready for this.

Everyone else seemed perfectly, fine. Nerves hadn't overcome them like they had her. District one was nothing out of the ordinary, both tributes played up confidence perfectly, District two was fun and excited, District three and four had strong, mysterious tributes, as well as beautiful outfits, the young girl from three had a pretty green dress, shiny under the light. It was made up of tiny glowing computer chips. Everyone was doing well, winning over the audience.

Tremors shuffled through her as her turn neared. And then it came, they were calling up district seven, she had no more time to worry.

Reese gave a nervous smile to the crowd as she went to her seat. The bright lights bounced off the shimmering green glitter that covered her skin.

"hello there miss Iolanthe" Caesar smiled, his purple lips wide.

"Hello" Reese said shyly.

"I must say, your dress tonight is beautiful" and it truly was. Goddess inspired, and a light green colour.

"Thank you"

"So Reese, any siblings?"

"Just my sister" she grinned sweetly. "She's two years older than me, she gave me my token" she slipped the bracelet off her wrist, showing it to Caesar.

"It's lovely!" he exclaimed, showing off the intertwined twigs. "I'm sure it's very precious to you"

"Ya, it is. A reminder of her"

"That's so nice" he handed it back. "So, District seven, you must be handy with an axe"

"I'm ok, even small skill should help in the arena"

"Certainly does, every little bit you can get good at is helpful"

The interview continued on, with meaningless pointless questions, which the crowd ate up. And then she was done, finally.

-------------------

"So Pyrrha, how do you think this year's games will go?" She sat up straighter.

"Well Caesar, I think this is going to be fun" She spoke confidently and honestly.

"Well I'm sure our Gamemakers are pleased to hear that" the camera turned 'round to the Gamemakers' table, they did seem to be enjoying this.

"It always seemed so cool, you know?"

"oh yes! We all understand that rush of watching it, I can only imagine the feeling of actually participating!" Caesar turned towards the crowd. "Well that's all our time!"

The buzzer went off and though she'd captivated the audience, Pyrrha was glad to go.